Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 07:35 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Leasing a bitch.

Has anyone here leased a bitch for breeding purposes?

How did you go about it? What are the standard arrangements between bitch/stud owner?

Thanks in advance.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Valued Member

Re: Leasing a bitch.

You will probably find there are as many arrangements as there are people.

Have you found a bitch that the owner agrees to lease to you? Will you be breeding to your own male or an outside male?

Put everything that can possible occur in writing so there is no disagreement at any time about expectations. Lease arrangements can be anything from a set fee to puppy or puppies back.

Generally, the bitch is taken into your custody before the breeding takes place and remains in your custody until the pups are old enough to leave home. During that time, it is as if she was owned by you with all care and expenses as if she were your own. As you can imagine this is a huge responsibility.

Hope this at least gets you started.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:27 AM

Be sure to specify what the fee arrangements will be if the bitch does not conceive. Some friends of mine leased a bitch many years ago, and despite heroic efforts, she was unable to get pregnant. They were using an outide stud too, so they were out the stud fee as well as vet costs for working up the bitch's infertility.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:26 PM

My wife used to breed and show cats and she had leased a Queen from her mentor. The Queen was bred and my wife was added as a co-owner. We drove to GA to pick her up. The fee was $200 plus pick male from the litter. We paid all vet bills and feeding costs. When the kittens were old enough the Queen was returned to GA (we drove her along with the litter) and transferred co-ownership off the papers. In our case the experience was a good one and we were all very satisfied with the outcome. We would have loved to have kept the Queen but sadly that was not part of the original deal.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

Thanks all.

I'm just starting to entertain the possibility of this. So, I have my work cut out for me, all the way around this subject.... :)

I'd definitely want to find a proven producer, bitch-wise, which would lessen the chances of the pregnancy not taking. However, this happens even with fertile grrlz, so a clause pertaining to this is important, thanks Mary.

The reasons I'm thinking about this option are, my ex-foundation bitch was a flop in the reproduction dept., and it'll be a while till I have one of age. I'd like to see what my boy can produce (in an entire litter...LOL) sometime before he dies of old age...etc....

So, homework time now. Any other addition information is welcome!

Regards,

Old 04-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Valued Member

We have leased bitches a couple of times. As everyone has said, you want to be certain everything is in writing. I have two lease agreements that I am willing to share with you, just PM me your personal email address and I will forward the Word documents to you.

I've heard of a lot of horror stories about leasing, but we have been lucky. Since we did develop good contracts and had ethical people we were working with, we came through with no problems.

Lots of things to think about:
1) what happens if there is only one puppy?
2) what happens if you both want one sex and there is only one of that sex?
3) who gets the extra puppy if there is an odd number whelped?
4) who pays for expenses if the bitch does not get pregnant?
5) who gets first pick of the litter?

and lots more..........we have covered most things in our contracts.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:32 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Thanks, Sharon! I'll get with you on the contracts. Appreciate it.

Gosh, just entertaining the idea, I feel like I'm puppy shopping.... LOL. Starting to look at possible pedigrees right now, so I can get a list of possibles to approach.

Thanks again... keep 'em coming, folks. I'll need all the help I can get on this one.... :D

Regards,

Old 04-06-2004, 10:52 AM

Well, don't leave out; who gets to name the litter/pups and what kennel name will be used. And will there be any advertising expense in the announcement? Somebody has to pick up that tab also.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:27 PM

I leased a mare for a foal once (well, actually I had her on a lease for years, and they wouldn't sell her to me, so I told them I was going to breed her so I'd at least have a part of her).

I paid for everything, including the fact that it took her 3 years to catch. Mares are pregnant for 11 months, and since they all age 1 year as of January 1st (regardless of their actual birth date) you can only breed in the spring if you want to show / compete them against other young horses. As we all know 6 months makes a world of difference.

I finally got my filly out of her, but I was heartbroken that I had to let my mare go. Since she was the one I wanted in the first place.

The only thing that happened there was when I weaned the foal and took the mare back, the owner was upset that it had 'taken so long - it wasn't meant to be this long'.

So he got her back and sold her 6 months later. :( Without telling me!

It caused the loss of a friendship.

--------

Sooo, my point is, you may want to include how many heat cycles you'll have her for before she catches. If she doesn't, then a new contract or a renegotiation may need to occur.