Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 10:16 AM

Litter Size

Hi Guy! I wanted to find out from those of you that breed if litter size affects puppy size? Do puppies that come from smaller litters tend to be bigger or smaller than those that come from larger litters? Just something I've always wondered. Thanks

Steve

Old 03-08-2004, 10:56 AM

Re: Litter Size

It only makes sense that there is only so much room in there. Also the more puppies there are the more distributed the nutrients from Mom. I believe that not only does litter size affect the size but also the health of a litter.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:48 AM

I have not found it to make a difference. Perhaps with an exceptionally large litter it might. However, you must be aware that you are speaking of birth weight only. Adult size and weight are determined by the genetic material inherited.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:01 PM

I should say that I'm speaking of big differences like between 6 or 11. Puppies in a litter of 11 would be smaller at birth then have the additional problem of fighting for resources.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 PM

I have had litters of 5-10 pups. At birth they have all been the same size 12-18 oz with my average pup being 16 oz. Birth weight seems to depend more on the individual female than litter size.

My only litter with smaller individuals had cardiac problems at birth

Smaller sized litters (less than 7 pups) are heavier at 6 weeks than pups from larger litters (more than 7 pups) which makes sense since the smaller litters don't have the milk battle that larger liters have

Rottweilers are supposed to average 7 pups per litter, butagain different females have different averages. My first bitch Starr had 3 litters 5,5 and 8 and her 2 daughters had 3 litters each Molly 5, 6, 10 and Angelica 9, 7, 10. All 3 bitches had pups in the same weight range and same average sizes.
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 PM

Diane,

Do females that have smaller litters tend to have puppies with health problems?

Steve

Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 PM

Not in my own experience. For me it was the one litter with small pups. There were 8 pups born the majority were 8-9 oz. I lost this whole litter.

I don't think size of the litter has a single thing to do with health of the pups. To me it is their individual birth size, their vitality etc.. that determine's their overall status

Litter size is simply the end result of how many eggs the bitch released, how many were actually fertilized and how many successfuly implanted and grew to be birthed. All these things can be influenced by the bitch's health - both physical and genetic-, by the stage of her heat cycle she was bred, and by the way the parent's genetic material combine
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13