Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 04:20 PM

neutered male fertile?

I assumed once you neutered a male he immediately becomes infertile. While my dog was in heat my male, neutered two weeks prior, tied with her. I didn't think this was a problem until she started showing discharge after two weeks. I first thought it was a UTI but another forum I frequent said it could be a sign of pregnancy. I talked to the vet tech about it being a possibility and she said no; but the long pause of silence before her answer has now made me paranoid. Please tell me this is not a possibility. :( How long does it take to get all the sperm out of a male after the neuter? My female did have a false pregnancy after her last heat 6 months ago.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:39 PM

Re: neutered male fertile?

It is possible she is preggo. Males can remain fertile up to one month after they are neutered.

Old 02-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Valued Member

angel girl is correct, dogs can remain fertile for a few weeks after neutering. Remember also that even an infertile, neutered dog can still get an erection and form a tie with a willing female - the physical ability is still there even when the dog is neutered (many neutered males lose the drive to mount and tie, but not all). If you were planning to spay your female anyway (and aren't showing her), you can have her spayed before the pregnancy progresses much further and save her the danger of carrying the puppies and yourself the hassle and expense of having a litter and placing the puppies.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey
angel girl is correct, dogs can remain fertile for a few weeks after neutering.
Sperm lasts a lot longer than we ever thought. The belief was that during optimal breeding we could trust that the sperm was active 48 to 72 hours allowing for some flexibility on ovulation in the female. According to Dr. Hutch outside of the male sperm can live much much longer than that:

Quote:
Basically, fresh semen lasts 5-6 days. Colorado state has found live semen ELEVEN days after breeding.
Dr. Hutchinson

And that is outside of the "factory". I also receive a monthly e-mail newsletter from a vet in Rhode Island and he cautions that males remain fertile for up to a month after neutering! Quite an eye-opener!