Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Valued Member

Let's try this again.

An OFA hip rating is not required to show in AKC. In fact no rating at all is required. It is simply a requirement for members of code of ethics clubs prior to breeding.

Old 09-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Poor phrasing on my part. You are correct as I know someone who quite heavily campaigns her dysplastic male. But it is widely assumed that most clubs follow ARC Code of Ethics, which states that (as Jodie posted earlier):

Breed only AKC registered dogs and bitches which have OFA certified hips (or HD-free hips as certified by foreign counterparts of the OFA). Imported Rottweilers must have OFA hip certification within six months after arrival in U.S.A.

So its only natural that most believe that OFA is required to show.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
A hip rating, done either here or abroad, is a hip rating.
This is true, but the ratings standards are not necessarily comparable from system to system. Hips that might get a pass under one set of standards might not get a pass under another, and a "pass/fail" system is not as useful as a system which grades hips on a scale.

Old 09-21-2003, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spidey
This is true, but the ratings standards are not necessarily comparable from system to system. Hips that might get a pass under one set of standards might not get a pass under another, and a "pass/fail" system is not as useful as a system which grades hips on a scale.
So then, if your dog can't HD in Germany then OFA them here because they might pass? That is dishonest. OK, and say your dog passed in Germany and then comes here and fails? The German breeder you bought the dog from is not going to give one good hoot what OFA says because the dog passed in their country.

I think its dishonest and it breeds ill will and its just plain insulting to the countries who are hip certifying these dogs. Who is to say that OFA is the and all and be all? You certainly don't see international breeders rushing over here to OFA their dogs. And so they shouldn't. They have perfectly vaid hip registries in their own countries and many have been around a bit longer than OFA>

Old 09-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Valued Member

Samantha, I said nothing about OFA or any other specific grading system. I'm just pointing out that there are some systems which use a pass/fail method, rather than specific grading, and not all methods are comparable in terms of criteria (just as OFA and PennHip use different criteria). You should know what the hip rating your dog has is based on, that's all - a dog with a marginal pass doesn't have excellent hips, even though it passed, that sort of thing. It wasn't a better/worse comparison, necessarily, just pointing out that the different agencies are not always comparable because their criteria are different.

And the amount of time a given certifying agency has been around is immaterial. What's relevant is the reliability of the criteria they use in determining how sound a given dog's joints actually are, and how diligent they are about maintaining accurate records.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:45 PM

Ok, I see what you are saying now. Yes, I agree I'd prefer to know if a dog is E, G or F but some people are very quick to dismiss foreign hip ratings and I just don't think its right. That is all I was trying to point out! :)

Old 09-21-2003, 06:47 PM

Larry ?
I think we talking about Rottweilers in this forum , or are you talking about another breed and organization ? The x-rays for the hips & elbows certs in Germany for the rottweilers are sent to the ADRK German Rottweiler Club). They have thier own doctors ( Vets) who
grade them.HD or ED - +/- + , ++, +++ ( Not @ 12 months).
They also list the hip & elbow ratings
each year in thier breed book.
Each dog has dog base numbers . 100 points in the center. This is for breeding purposes.
Damp,
My personal opinion on cert them at
12 months is too early.
Xelly Vom Hause Anin OFA Exc
BH SchH III
Inge Vom Schwaiger Rathaus HD-ED-SchH III
AD BH ZTP

Last edited by Scott Fishfader; 09-21-2003 at 06:53 PM.

Old 09-21-2003, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fishfader
IBLAX In Germany it is 18 month.( has been that way for almost two decades.
Our Girl Inge vom Schwiager Rathaus
who is OFA Cert Good Here & Elbows Clear Had her hips & elbows cert in Germany. Which are HD- ED-
Actually, I think it's down to 15mos by ADRK. I had Froli done in Germany, when we went for a 2 week visit in 5/99. She was 17mos at the time, went HD- and ED-. I re-did her OFA while in heat, and she came out OFA Good and Elbows clear. I bet if I re-did her "not in heat," she'd have been OFA Excellent. :)

Old 09-21-2003, 07:44 PM

Gretchen,
You are correct I looked at Etzel`s
they were done @ 15 months.
Inge`s had her OFA @ 24 months,
her ADRK @ 36 months. I will still get
an OFA on Etzel.
Xelly Vom Hause Anin OFA Exc
BH SchH III
Inge Vom Schwaiger Rathaus HD-ED-SchH III
AD BH ZTP

Old 09-21-2003, 09:05 PM

I would think that if I import a dog from another country, that I planned to breed in the new country - that I would certify the dog in said country. When in Rome... ;)

It's not to say that one rating is better than another (although I do agree that 24 months is better than 12 months). But I would choose to comply with the rules and regulations of the country I was in at the time. I wouldn't want there to be any problems with people recognizing the validity of my dogs ratings.

Of course, this is just for arguments sake - :)

Old 10-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Novice Member

Just curious, where does Pennhip fit in all this? I have seen dogs get a failing score in Pennhip only to be passed OFA fair?

Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Murph
Just curious, where does Pennhip fit in all this? I have seen dogs get a failing score in Pennhip only to be passed OFA fair?
They're two different tests for the same problem. The differing criteria make the outcomes different.

As said earlier in this thread, PennHip measures the laxity of the joint. Basically, how easily it can be pulled away from the hip socket and the strength of it.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/research/centers/pennhip//

The OFA measures the structure of the joint.

Both are very good tests. Some would argue that one is better than the other.

If you could afford it, I would recommend the PennHip. But many breed groups won't recognize PennHip. Therefore, for recognition, you'd have to go with the OFA. In which case, you'd have to get both.

Since OFA is the official certification right now, many only have it done.

Again, as also said earlier - the scales of 'pass or fail' are different between the tests. So what might fail one might get a scraping pass in the other (or visa versa).

Old 10-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Valued Member

Not wanting to get into this discussion to much and not knowing about the dog/breeder you are talking about but thought I should also add that you can get hip/elbow clearances/scoring done here at 12 months of age.

Mick.