Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 12:38 AM

Mom doesn't want 4 week pups to nurse much..

I have a rescued female Rottie with a litter that will be 4 weeks old tomorrow (Tues). The puppies are eating mush made out of Nutro Lamb and Rice puppy VERY well, and doing well..there are 7 of them. There is one runt, and he is doing very well also. As of late, and mom has some separation issues from ppl anyway, she doesn't want to nurse them at all hardly. We did have her in a bathroom (where she first had them) were there was no divider. Now, we have moved them into a box/pen we made in our washroom, and when she is in there she just wants out most of the time. She does still have milk. How much should I feed the puppies mush? And how much nursing should she be doing now?

Old 02-11-2003, 09:40 AM

It's not uncommon for her to start pulling away. She knows when the right time is and if she's been a good Mom up until now trust her. I'd make sure there's always water and make a big bowl for them 4 times a day. More than you think they'll eat. They'll stop when they've had enough and go find a place to sleep. Especially with little ones IMHO too much is better than not enough, and each pup depending on size and appetite will eat a different amount.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.

Old 02-11-2003, 12:08 PM

the pups have teeth?! This is not uncommon for mom to want out, it hurts and she's sore. When she does nurse you will start to see her stand more or even sit instead of laying on her side. The older they get the more requirements they will need and she will eventually not be able to supply them with all their feedings. However, you can not just cut her off. As her milk is still coming in it is uncomfortable for her not to relieve this pressure. I will still offer her to her pups and if this continues start cutting her back on her feedings to help her dry up.

Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Valued Member

None of our bitches will stay with their pups after they hit the four week mark. I think its a combination of those little tiny, sharp teeth and just the fact that they know it's time to wean them.

We always wean our pups by taking the mama dog away from them. Her food is cut to about 1/4 of her regular ration for both food and water for three days. This stops the production of milk and in no way harms the mother, it's still enough for her to exist on and in turn, her body will start to absorb the milk that she has in order to provide for it's own needs. She can then start to dry up. We weaned our bitch two weeks ago and you can hardly tell that she was nursing today. She is pretty much all dried up and her "boobies" are going back to their original shape.

After a week apart, we let the mama and pups get together every day, they may still try to nurse, but there will be no milk and the mama, when you call her, will leave them and stop them from trying to nurse. They love this play time and I think it does a lot to teach them social skills when interacting with their mother.

Sharon Marples

Old 02-11-2003, 02:57 PM

thanks..I feel better now.

They have had teeth for about a week and a half. I do make more than enough when I feed them and leave it in for an hour, then give left overs to mom. Glad to know four weeks is normal! She is mostly standing to nurse them now, and I think just lays down with them usually after they have all gone to sleep. So mom can go back to dog food now too then, I'd assume? Also, what's the best wormer to start them on and when? Mom is on Interceptor..so they should be pretty protected, right? But mom had tapeworms when she gave birth ,and was wormed after.
So I should wean now?
As far as her nipples..even when we first got her..which now I know must've been right after she was bred..she has uh, "scarred"? nipples..some are really big normally. She was used for BYB twice..from what I was told. Again, she is 2 years old we believe.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Ancient Valued Member

My bitches are with their pups at least several hours a day (some am and pm) until the pups are 10 weeks old. I never force wean.

At 4 weeks mine are with the pups in a 6' X 5' pen that they cannot escape darn near 20 hours a day. At 5 weeks I let mom sleep crated but with the pups the majority of each day and each week is less and less time with the pups.

Keeping mom with pups even if she has no milk is HUGELY beneficial to the pups dog language education and their personalities. By 10 weeks the pups rarely nurse and mom has just about no milk and then they go to new homes and mom has dried up naturally and tucks up quite well.

This is the natural way to do it and it is the most beneficial emotionally and physically for the bitch as well as the pups

Any bitch of mine that was nasty enough to her pups after 4 weeks that made me fear she'd harm them because she no longer wishes to nurse would never be bred again. That is not a natural reaction. Growling yes, walking away yes, mouthing the persistant ones yes. But downright nasty? no

Bitches in the wild nurse their pups- even if it is just moments each day- for up to 10-16 weeks if food is good and consistantly available
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 02-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Ancient Valued Member

OUCH! :( What the heck did I eat for lunch?

Sorry all, no offense or criticism to any intended
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 02-11-2003, 09:13 PM

Froli was willing to nurse the pups up to the day they left. Obviously, she couldn't keep up with their needs, and they were on food by about 5 weeks, but she never told them "enough!" At times, she'd walk away, but if they caught her, she'd assume "the position."

What truly amazed me was when Vikka arrived. Froli's litter was born 6/29, and gone by the end of August. Vikka didn't arrive until October 17th. Froli was well dried up and getting back to working shape, but young pesky Vikka was sure that female = milk, and gave several attempts......lo and behold, Froli assumed the position. She really is a great brood bitch!

I can't remember exactly when, but probably around 4 -5 weeks, Froli started coming back upstairs with us at night. She'd disappear down to the dining room (whelping area) at points in the night, and was already down there when we got up at 5:30a, but she was very happy to be up with us. :)

Old 02-11-2003, 11:26 PM

How funny!

We had an outside cat once that had a litter of kittens that were about 5 months old..when she had a NEW Litter. The day she gave birth I caught her (and she was a smaller cat being a stray) holding her 5 month old kitten by the scruff and dragging him, as best she could, back to the box to put in with her newborn kittens..He was confused, but obeyed momma. I had to interrupt though as I didn't want her to spend all her time worrying about her BIG baby out..and spend it on the new kittens.
But about the Rottweiler..she was a rescue and won't be bred again anyway, but spayed after she has dried up. I will need to wean the puppies prior to 10 weeks though..so that 10days after weaning I can give them their 1rst DHLPPS..then wait another 10 days before they go into a rescue group that should be taking them.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Ancient Valued Member

If you use Progard you don't need to worry about weaning 10 days prior. (actually I've only heard that belief one other time-the 10 days ahead thing)

I certainly would not be giving baby pups a Lepto vax. Lepto is the #1 cause of vax reactions in pups. Progard makes a Progard 5 ( a DHP+Pv) which is Distemper, Parainfluenza, Hepatitis, A2 upper respiratory and Parvo

Most vet hospials say IF you are going to give Lepto to wait til 12-14 weeks
Itsy

Old 02-13-2003, 02:16 AM

Yeah..

Don't know why I said that. I won't give them Lepto in their first booster, or probably the second. And, they will probably not be here by there third booster so...nevermind about that. I thought that all puppy vax should be given 10 days POST weaning..as before they are still covered by mom's immunity..and vaccinated then would be useless?

Old 02-13-2003, 12:26 PM

I believe recent studies are showing that there is no reason to vaccinate before 8 weeks, as mother's immunity is still in place. I sent my A litter home with their first set of vaccinations. This litter will not be vaccinated, I'd prefer to wait until they are a minimum of 8 weeks.