Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 03:33 PM

First season is a bit early

I have two 9 mo. old Rotties, one male and one female. To my surprise my girl is having her first season. Isn't 9 months a little early? I wasn't expecting this so soon, they grow up so fast!

Because of this my husband and I separated the two. Now my boy mopes around and won't eat. He's lost so much weight in the past week he has turned into skin and bones. Nothing will inspire him to eat, not even his favorite snacks. He will nibble sometimes, but that's about it. Help! Is something wrong with him?

Old 09-11-2002, 03:41 PM

It's common for male dogs to mope when there is a female in season around which they can't reach.

A female rottie can go into season as early as six months old and as late as just over a year for the first time. It just depends on the female. They may also go into heat anywhere from four to eight months between cycles too.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Ancient Valued Member

Try chicken soup, cooked chicken meat, burger etc.. If all else fails do you have a friend or a boarding kennel where he could go for the next 3 weeks?

My males don't eat much but they do eat enough to not turn into bones. BUT they do wail and cry when the girls are in standing heat!!
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 09-11-2002, 03:59 PM

I thought the same thing!!

Loki came into season at 9 mo. also...but you have to remember, all dogs are different...;)

Mommy of:
Loki--10 y/o female rescue rotti
Dozer--8 y/o male rescue rotti
and Shelby 15 y/o human daughter

Old 09-11-2002, 06:00 PM

my puppy bitch is in season right now as well, at 9.5 mos of age. I have been checking and watching her since 6 mos. ( mos is not early, I'd say that is about average for a larger dog such as a Rottie.

Old 09-16-2002, 10:57 PM

9 months sounds about right to me. The norm is for a female to have her first heat sometime near one year of age. But like others have said, it can depend on the dog. :)

Lisa

Old 09-17-2002, 07:47 AM
Ancient Valued Member

ALL of my Rottweilers in the last 17 years have come into heat for the first time between 8 and 9 months of age. However I have seen others come in as early as 5 months and as late as 20 months. But by far the average has been 8 months
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13