Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breeding
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breeding Just about anything related to breeding should go here. Please remember, litter announcements are fine, but puppies/dogs for sale, through posts or links, are strictly prohibited. The discussion of breeders is not permited.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 AM

How old are these puppies?

So I've been researching buying a rottie puppy and have visited several breeders in my area and taken pics, etc. According to this "breeder", they are 4 weeks old. They fit in the palm of my hand so they are about 7" long. Problem is they are like 1/4 the size of every other rottie puppies I've seen at that age? Is she lying? Maybe trying to rush them out before christmas? Maybe they are having health problems? How can they be so tiny at that age? She also told me the mother died shortly after birth and that she had to bottle feed them? I don't know what to think of this breeder but my gut tells me something is very wrong here, so I thought I would ask people who would most likely know, which is you guys here. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-04_19-00-12_152.jpg (16.6 KB, 457 views)
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1034245 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 AM

Re: How old are these puppies?

Run away, run away, run away!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 AM

So they are not 4 weeks old? Or just sick?

Old 12-06-2011, 01:46 AM

I can't see much but there is no way in heck those are 4 weeks old.

I'd be surpised if they were more than 1 week. They also look excessively fuzzy.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Novice Member

I can't imagine that those pups are 4 weeks. Even if they were, 4 weeks is too young IMO, to be taken away from Mom.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Kongax - you actually had these puppies in your hand?....If so - and if they are in fact 4 weeks old - a couple of things should have been obvious to you - regardless of breed....at 4 weeks of age - the puppies all have eyes and ears open and functioning....at 4 weeks of age - the puppies all have a decent start on their puppy teeth and they are trying to USE THEM on each other, you, the carpet, whatever.....this is the age they usually begin taking in a gruel/food other than their mother's milk, as weaning starts in the 4-6 week range.....

At 4 weeks of age - healthy puppies are VERY mobile/curious/adventurous - and are wiggly worms in your hands - they want to MAKE TRACKS - they want to explore their world.......you would be holding a wiggle worm who wanted DOWN, unless they were worn out from play, and taking a siesta in your warm hands.....

Healthy 4 week old puppies are a JOY - they are joyful - and they are ACTIVE/busy/playful/mischievious/interactive, etc.........

These puppies look less than 10 days old to me (when eyes and ears begin to open) - but the pic is almost hard to tell 'breed'.....much less age......

If allowed - here is a photo of 2 - 4 week old Rottweiler puppies....these puppies were from a large litter of 12 - so they were all smaller than an average puppy at birth...

Last edited by jakesfostermom; 12-06-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 PM

from that one pic I'd say those pups have what I call "sick fur" the fur of an ill or unthrifty or pup with a health defect is different than that of a healthy pup

were these pups eyes open? walking around, playing even if awkwardly, did they have teeth and did they use them? bark? eat sloppy food? if not, then no way 4 weeks
Itsy
Gone-VP Darla SAS 12/00-2/02 U-CD Bea CD,RE,TD,CGC,TT Osteo 3/03 - 2/08 Bonnie CGC AIHA 2/08-8/10, Bill HICs,TT 10/98-8/13

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Regardless of the age, they don't know you and you don't know them. I would NEVER buy from any breeder if I hadn't developed some type of rapport with them. You are probably right, though; they are likely trying to sell them off before Christmas, so they have more money to spend on their own families. I'll bet they never mentioned anything about a health guarantee, did they?

If you are wanting to buy a Rottie, please read the stickies here.

Attitude? No, I don't have an "attitude." It's called a "Rottweiler."

Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM

What did the mother die from? Did they nurse at all before the mother died? If they never nursed, then they are at a huge disavantage and are likely to not thrive. Regardless of the age of these pups, do not get one, even if they are free. These pups will cost you an arm and a leg and then some in care and probably for nothing. You will not be saving them if you buy one.
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

oh my gosh these guys barely look a day or two old much less 4 weeks.

4 week old puppies are mobile and bouncing around and typically would weigh about 8-10lbs (at least mine do )

I feel dreadfully sorry for these wee ones.....it certainly doesn't look like they have much of a chance of survival. As much as they tug on your heart strings, please resist.....as Francis said if you take one they would cost you several arms/legs to rear with ?????? what health concerns. Best of luck in finding a puppy from a good Code of Ethic breeder.

Heather

Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Run like your booty is on fire!! Personally I also do not think they are four weeks. Secondly if they are then please consider the HIGH likelyhood of a heart issue, liver shunt, etc.. You could buy a quality puppy a few times over by the time you are done paying for a big ole heartbreak. Poor babies.

Genia.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM

You've been given great advice. Run away and don't look back.

One other thing, it is against the law in the state of Florida to release pups until they are 8 weeks old. If this so called "breeder" is trying to do so, report them to your local SPCA or ask them who you report them to or call the State Agriculture Department and file a complaint.

You will find that around this time of year, Greeders (backyard breeders who only want your money) will have litters so they can benefit and have themselves a great holiday and then some. Course they will continue to breed since the uninformed keep them in business. I'm glad you're asking before you get trapped.

Once again, run away. Please read the Stickys in the Breeding forum and also in the other forums. So much to learn and understand "before" you purchase a pup.

Also, purchasing a puppy for a Xmas present is not a good idea. To get yourself the right pup for the right person takes time, which includes finding a COE breeder and establishing a relationship with said breeder. Then that breeder picks the right pup for you and your lifestyle and your intensions of what you want to do with said pup.

May I also suggest that you check out rescue groups. There are plenty of good dogs looking for good homes.

Stick around, learn, ask questions (which you have a great headstart already) and that special pup will come. You found the right place to come.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Kongax, listen to your gut.

You need to stop looking at breeders and instead spend time thoroughly educating yourself so you don't get hosed--and big time hosed-both heart-wise and pocketbook-wise.

Please start reading thru the postings here in Breeding in a systematic, methodical fashion, thinking about what you're reading. Regretably, if the puppies in the picture represent the breeders in your area, you are surrounded by breeders of very poor quality.

There are breeders who post in this forum. You'd be far better off starting to network with them than traveling around, looking at what are, sadly, BYBs, and their sad puppies.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Please listen to Angel Bunny and everyone else who has given you excellent advice.

Those pups are not 4 weeks old. They look to me to be about 7 days old. I predict a short life and many health issues for the little puppies. Vet costs would likely send you bankrupt.

Stay well clear of back yard breeders ans this one most certainly is a BYB of the worst kind. I imagine the mother died during or shortly after whelping those pups due to lack of care and no vet attention.

There is a wealth of information on this forum. Please read and learn before buying puppy.
Read all the stickies in the breeders section.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

I brought home a 3 week old pup, a singleton, whose mother had died, and hand reared him. He is a pit x GSD and is now 2 1/2 years old. Even at 3 weeks he was lively, getting around, and taking notice of his surroundings, but it was hard work for many weeks trying to teach him to be a dog. Even if these pups ARE 4 weeks old, and I sincerely doubt it, I would never reccommend that anybody take a pup from its littermates before 8 weeks, even if it was healthy. Simply dont do it! Wait, get your pup from COE breeder, and then ENJOY raising it, rather than spending weeks worrying.