Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Breed Specific Legislation
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Breed Specific Legislation Enough can not be done or said to protect not only rights, but the rights of all the wonderful breed owners. Please, lets all lend a hand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 05:13 PM

Geico on the Breed Ban Wagon

Geico has gone a couple of steps further then All State used to. Wait until you see this list.

Cross posted with permission:

Geico Insurance-BAN Dog Breeds

IF YOU ARE A DOG LOVER, DO NOT INSURE WITH GEICO!
CROSSPOST PLEASE!!

Geico Direct (www.geicodirect.com) and their underwriters, Travelers
Insurance, refuse to insure anyone owning a dog that they consider
"aggressive." This includes everything from the typical breeds that
are discriminated against, from rotts, dobes, chows, german shepherds and
pitbulls, to huskies, malamutes, saint bernards, mastiffs, bulldogs...
you name it. They will also not insure households with mixes of these
breeds, even if the dog is predominantly a mix of dogs they consider more
"benign" such as a labrador.

DO NOT BUY THEIR INSURANCE, INCLUDING CAR INSURANCE.
As dog lovers, we must take a stand against this irresponsible corporate
behavior that punishes millions of responsible dog owners for the few idiots
that are out there.

PLEASE CROSSPOST THIS WIDELY. Also, please call them to let them know
that their pet policy is ridiculous and you will not be purchasing their
insurance. Phone number: 1-800-841-2964.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 06-10-2004, 08:32 PM

Re: Geico on the Breed Ban Wagon

And they use an animal (gecko) in all their advertising....what's up with that !
Akasha 1st rotty girl waits at the Bridge

Old 06-10-2004, 11:45 PM

Not only do they use a gecko but there is also a really cute ad with four or five different dogs each in a car looking out the window at a passing car with a gecko riding in it. I had always loved it.
As for their underwriter Travelers, I was denied renewal by them in October due to having my rotties. An adjuster had to come out to the house for a claim and saw them. I wrote a letter to my state insurance commisioner concerning this as well as Travelers. I never heard anything back from Travelers but did from the commisioner's office.
Raven's Mystic Beauty ( 8-8-98 to 11-22-06)
Kasy von Waldlichtung (4-11-89 to 8-22-98)
Buddy (10-1-90 to 1-27-99)

Old 06-11-2004, 02:44 AM

I had been with Geico for several years, when my husband and I were shopping for our new vehicle and I called them from the dealership to get a price quote on adding the van, they wanted to sell us a million dollar umbrella policy.
The first words out of the agents mouth were. " you don't own any dangerous dogs, like rottweilers do you?"I kind of chuckled and said "what do dogs have to do with car insurance?" She stated that they would not be able to write a policy( homeowners) if I owned any dangerous breed such as rottweilers.
OH I was highly pissed! I said as a matter of fact I have 3 rotties and they are the furthest thing from dangerous, I went on to say even though they were probably smart enough to drive, I had no plans on allowing the to drive my vehicle.I told her I was appalled at the companies stupidity and would be taking my business elsewhere. How stupid!

Old 06-11-2004, 02:58 AM

I find it very interesting that it doesn't mention this anywhere on their website.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 06-12-2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The first words out of the agents mouth were. " you don't own any dangerous dogs, like rottweilers do you?
Quote:
She stated that they would not be able to write a policy( homeowners) if I owned any dangerous breed such as rottweilers.
Those statements have to be the most bias, outragous, statments coming out of one ignorant, misinformed, uneducated persons mouth! I think if I was on the receiving end of that conversation I would have not resisted on saying, "maybe you should be more concerned on the fact that the "owner" is the "dangerous" one!! For it's the 2 legged ones that create the 4 legged ones to become dangerous!

What is really scary is the fact that we NEED insurance and the insurance industry knows this. If they ALL become this way we don't have a prayer! Hitting them where it hurts is the key....the bank account. We must become strong in numbers and lobby hard. Maybe when the Bean Counters see their bottom line getting smaller, they just may get themselves educated. But also on that note, it will have to be the responsible dog owner to be the ones doing the education! Spread the word, email your Insurance Commissioners, Insurance Agents and Companies and newspapers! We have to get "our" word out for everyone to hear!

JoJo

Old 06-15-2004, 04:50 PM

In Texas Geico can write home owners policies through Illinois Union aka Texas All Risk for any breed of dog because this particular policy doesn't cover dog bites. Not sure if the same is true for other states.

Also in Texas there is an alternative for people who have had their home owners insurance cancelled for various reasons called the Texas Fair Plan Association http://www.texasfairplan.org/. Those outside of Texas might be interested in seeing if such a plan exists in their state.

Rachel

Old 06-16-2004, 07:55 AM

I have my own issues with Gieco, I'll never, EVER use them for anything.

Harley (5y/o rescue Rotty)
Rory, Sheena and Thor waiting on the otherside

Old 06-17-2004, 01:54 PM

I email Geico and this is what I said:

I was looking into home owners insurance and came across your site. I will NOT be going with Geico due to you not covering people who own dogs who you feel are dangerous. Geico's pet policy is ridiculous! Neither Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds, Chows, etc. are dangerous dogs per se rather they are breeds that are popular not only with those devoted to them and their proper care but those who wish a macho image. Prior to this decade other dog breeds were in similar situations for example Dobermans, German Shepherds and ChowChows, all breeds that were victims of great popluarity and subsequent poor handling by less than competent owners bringing them an undeserved reputation as a 'dangerous' breed. Controlling the people who will abuse the owner dog relationship through ignorance or otherwise is a far better and wiser solution to the problem these owners present to their neighbors no matter what breed of dog they own. Geico should be more interested in wheither an owner is a RESPONSIBLE owner than what breed of dog they own. Geico is turning away a lot of good, responsible people because of their specific breed bans! I have choosen to go with another reputable insurance company who will insure me despite of what breed of dog I own.

Sara Jack-owner of a well trained, socialized, and loved ROTTWEILER, Kodi CGC

Old 06-17-2004, 02:13 PM

I was just saying on another link that my parents were told they could not keep my brothers rottie on the 26 acres so I have been web searching for another company for them.

I was linked to the AKC site with a list of insurance companies that cover rottweilers and other important people to complain through by the Rotts across Texas Rottweiler Rescue site. You click on Has your insurance been cancelled due to your choice of breed? And you get this nifty information filled AKC site.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:33 PM

When I purchased my house, I had Geico car insurance and the homeowner's insurance was underwritten through Balboa. It was pricey, so I switched to a cheaper company.
I'm glad I'm not with them anymore...

Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 PM

I thought Travelers was one of the "unbiased". Was that so and they changed their tune?