Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 09:30 PM

hate

can anybody give me some insight on why my 5 year old, rott hate the mailman so much. He is a very friendly dog well mannered, but goes off
the chart we he sees the mailman and a male german sheppard that lives
down the street he seems to hate them with a passion, thease are the only two issues that i have with my rott.
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1005709 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM

Re: hate

Have you had him since a young pup? Has he always had an issue with the mailman? Does he have a reaction to strangers (in general) approaching the house?

Gone on:
Bort BH AD, Froli SchH2 AD BST OA AXJ CGC ARC VX, Top 10 agility, Banja NA NAJ Top 10 agility, Xcel CGC TT

Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM

He's been with me since he was 6 weeks old, he welcomes all of my friends if he's sees me talking to strangers he wants to be there friend. But he will bark
at night if he's outside at people who look like there up to something.
but I know if given the chance he would attack the mailman and that german
sheppard..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:29 AM

Hi ! Love and hate are human feelings. Dogs know to trust, respect and to show affection. For mailman if i were you I will not let my dog to claim the door. I will claim it as a owner and when mailman show up and my dog misbehave I will put him down on a side to calm down and I will ask mailman to come to per him if he does want to. In the same manner i will do also with any other dog. But the other dog to come to smell mine.
This is my ideea. Regards

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM

Your mail man comes every day at the same time, if the dog is alone or waiting at a door or a window or a fence, this creates this behavior. The fact that the dog barks, and the mailman goes away im-powers the dog, you need to break that cycle by having your dog either crated, or when the mail man comes, be with your dog on lead and create a relationship between them.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylou Mader View Post
Your mail man comes every day at the same time, if the dog is alone or waiting at a door or a window or a fence, this creates this behavior. The fact that the dog barks, and the mailman goes away im-powers the dog, you need to break that cycle by having your dog either crated, or when the mail man comes, be with your dog on lead and create a relationship between them.
^^^This!^^^

Think about it from the dogs point of view. The guy comes, the dog barks, the guy reacts and goes away! The next day it happens again!! It is a self fulfilling cycle and the dog wins every time and gets more and more powerful and more and more confident. Eventually more aggressive towards the one person (or dog) he can control with out risk.

Break the pattern and give the dog an alternative behavior that is more rewarding.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:33 PM

It makes since..

thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 AM

I discovered that it's not the mailman my dog doesn't like, it's his push cart. He wants to get his cart! maybe all the different smells from the mail are overwhelming and different. One day we had separated the two to see and yep, it was the cart, he doesn't mind the mailman, although he does need his cart for mail....so we just place the dog out of sight till he goes, this way he doesn't see him and get a reaction. Good luck

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM

my mailman dosen't have a cart but they carry a big bag...maybe that's the problem.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Aside from the great explainations from Marylou and Noelle, let's face it, you weren't totally successful in desensitizing him in the 5 years you've had to raise him. You are not alone, by any means. It is not easy. When the mailman comes, he barks, the mailman (or the cart) leaves... this spells SUCCESS! to him.

It's a self reinforcing behavior, and will continue unless you are able to interrupt the cycle somehow. One way is to remove him from the scene... a crate in the house where he can't see the mailman. This does not solve the problem. It removes the stimulus ONLY.

The second, and more difficult means is to teach him a new response or redirect him. Work on the dog focusing on you! You must be more interesting and exciting that anything else on God's green earth. Have him on leash in your yard, for example. Have some very tasty bits of steak or cheese. When the mailman comes, have the dog face you and do some repetitions of sits, downs, fronts, and leash walking with turns. Keep him so busy he has less time to focus on the mailman. When he succeeds on his tasks, or returning or keeping focus on you reward him! Any of the above deserve a treat and praise. Good watch me! Good sit! Ignore. Leave it. This type of reward can become more desirable and more successful for him than barking and "driving" the mailman away, in the end, especially... (!) if you can get him to want to please you. If he wants to please you, it stands a better chance of carry over, for when you're not there.

Good luck. "It ain't easy."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:40 PM

I have been working on a similar situation for many months, and it is slowly (and I repeat) slowly, getting better. I work very hard at redirecting Bella each and every time she barks at people walking by the house. She will actually go from window to window to watch as people walk by, kids on bikes, etc. She is much better than she used to be, but still a very long way to go. I think I could wrap myself in raw steak and she would still not listen like I want her to when it comes to this particular work in progress!

One thing I wanted to mention was that, while she is doing this, she is wagging her little nub like crazy - so while I think it's somewhat upsetting to her, I also think she is just excited. Not really sure - she can be a strange girl at times!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM

My dogs go completely CRAZY when the UPS truck comes down the street. When I say "do you guys want some cheese?" (they love cheese) Kimbo, my rottie will run to the back door, but my mixed breed will keep barking until he sees that Kimbo got to go in and get a treat.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Smile Re: hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey51 View Post
I have been working on a similar situation for many months, and it is slowly (and I repeat) slowly, getting better. I work very hard at redirecting Bella each and every time she barks at people walking by the house. She will actually go from window to window to watch as people walk by, kids on bikes, etc. She is much better than she used to be, but still a very long way to go. I think I could wrap myself in raw steak and she would still not listen like I want her to when it comes to this particular work in progress!

One thing I wanted to mention was that, while she is doing this, she is wagging her little nub like crazy - so while I think it's somewhat upsetting to her, I also think she is just excited. Not really sure - she can be a strange girl at times!
My 4 yr old has been doing this since we brought our puppy home April 8, and he is finally stopping( I am a patient woman). Thank God, now people can walk by