Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Rottweilers and small dogs

I read something appalling yesterday, on a Yahoo group site. A Rottie had attacked two small dogs (on 2 separate occasions) This Rottie is from a puppymill & has been failed by the humans that are supposed to be taking care of her, but what upset me, was some of the comment- well, Rotties don't usually like small dogs and "I don't like small dogs myself"! I was appalled at that last statement! I don't like cats, but I would NEVER allow or condone my dogs hurting one! I have found it seems to be a common belief among some Rottie & other large breed owners- my dogs don't like small dogs! WELL- my dogs may not like a lot of things, but they are NEVER allowed to lunge, bark, growl, or act out in any way towards someone elses pet! And I truly don't believe that Rotties just don't like some other breeds! My dogs do long sits & downs between Yorkies, Chihuahuas, PitBulls, whatever dog is entered in their competition or whatever dog is entered in obedience class. For many years, my dogs have trained along side the tiniest dog breeds. These dogs are perfectly trained & obedient and I expect my dogs to be the same- Rottie & Heelers! I would NEVER tolerate my dogs showing aggression in class or on a public street because "Rotties don't like small dogs"! To me, that is just an excuse for your dog not being trained and socialized enough. If I took in a foster that couldn't learn to except other dogs, I would put that dog down! I WOULD work with the dog, but after a while the dog should be able to ignore other dogs! I don't expect my dogs to be friends with strange dogs, but I expect them to ignore them. I've trialed with many, many rescues over the years. These were extremely poorly bred dogs, some came with behavioral problems, but they all learned to ignore other dogs and many became very friendly with the toy breeds in my training club. No wonder this breed is often thought of as a monster! I even had a couple tell me at a show, they were told to pick up their toy breed when walking by Rotties, as they would often attack small dogs- it was normal for the breed! WTF! What an awful thing to say to someone- especially at a dogshow! WHY are Rottie owners tolerating this kind of behavior from their dogs? Why is the AKC tolerating it? I watched an AmStaff go over the fence to attack a small dog in the conformation ring a few years ago. They allowed the dog back in the ring to continue! I've met a Rottie male that has been in TWO fights in the obedience ring! How long will the AKC allow this to continue? I've pulled dogs straight out of shelters, found them chained to trailers after someone moved away and left them, got a call from the sheriff that the drug bust just left a Rottie chained to a tree! If I can make these dogs behave like canine good citizens- showing NO aggression to any other dogs- then what is the problem! I really wish I knew who it was that told that couple to be wary of Rotties at that show- they said it was someone going into the conformation ring with a Rottie! A handler? Hopefully not a breeder? This is WRONG! If I bring another animal into this house, whether toy breed dog or ferret, my dogs will show respect- I will NOT tolerate anything else! Whatever happened to training, supervision, and socializing (with all different kinds of animals & people)

Old 04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Valued Member

Re: Rottweilers and small dogs

Here, Here! I'm behind you all the way!

I joined an all-breed obedience club for this very reason.....I wanted Chili socialized to big, small, fluffy, wiggly, etc.etc.etc. She has been around so many other breeds that she thinks Rottweilers are novel!

She's done groups between a Chinese Crested and an Italian Greyhound, a Border Terrier and Lhasa Apso......with excellent manners. Just this morning while out for a walk at 6am, a neighbor with his 3 lb when soaking wet (and very noisy!) Chi crossed our path, I put Chili in a down so they could pass without concern. She was a complete angel....(where's the heart smilie?)

She'd love to be a loose horse if she could......not to harm but to chase, you betcha.....if not for obedience! As her owner, that's my JOB.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM

I don't know the whole story on this, but I think there was a lot going on with two/three people, a vet, a spay that someone didn't think turned out right...I agree with all you are saying. But when I read that, I ALMOST posted the same thing. The neighborhood hooligan dogs that are loose and run my fence line teasing my dogs are all little dogs. But I took a deep breath, and ... came to my so-called senses!

I just think there was a lot of unintended emotion that came out in those posts. It was even suggested that they go off-line with the comments because there could be misunderstanding. Those who have been working closely on this have been under unbelievable pressure -- dogs and people. The good news is the dog has been re-fostered and her issues will be addressed.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Cyndi- I should probably left out the incident of that particular dog, as I know the story behind, but it just prompted me to post something that has been on my mind for a long time. I've been thinking on this for years (since that incident at the dogshow in Beaumont) It just seems that a lot of people automatically assume that all toy breeds are problem dogs, but as I have said, I train with many and have been beaten in the obedience ring by 4 pounders It all comes back to training, socializing, and keeping your dog under control. My Heelers live right next to a pasture full of cows, but they know they are not allowed to run over there and chase the cows. Very few dogs are untrainable (is that a word?) Thru the years, I've put down 2 (1 Rottie & 1 Heeler) for extreme animal aggression, but not until numerous others had worked with & evaluated the dogs and deemed them too much of a liability to adopt out. But anyone who enters their dog in a show, should be able to walk through the show grounds & the hotel, without having to worry about the life of their dog! I have many friends with small breeds. They are well behaved, many titles, and they love the little things as much as we love Rotties! It is not fair to judge small breeds as being all the same, no more than it is fair of the general public to think all Rottweilers are monsters! The owners of small breeds are often the cause of their misbehavior, the same with all dogs.Joe Public, who knows nothing about dogs, but has half a dozen that run loose, can at least claim ignorance, but someone at a show We often send people to shows to meet the breeds & hope they will meet people who will show them proper care & training of dogs, instead of talking to someone at the Walmart parking lot. That is what really bothers me about the nonchalant attitude of these owners & breeders. I never want someone to pull their dog, because they have a toy breed and they are afraid to do a long sit or down by my dog!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 PM

And I totally agree with everything you said! If anything I think we should hold rotties to a higher standard because people expect them to be the "bad actor". Actually, the humans are the ones who should be held to the higher standard--supposedly we're the ones with the bigger brain!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM

My young rottie doesn't have a problem with small dogs. He is just as willing to play with them as any other dog. (although I have to be more vigilent when he does, as they are much more breakable than larger dogs)

If he becomes less dog friendly as he gets older, I think its more likely it will be generalised to all dogs, or particular individuals, rather than size specific.

On the other hand, the owners of small dogs often nearly have a heart attack when their off lead little dog runs up to my dog (ignoring their paniced shouts to come back). They are expecting that's the last they'll see of their little Fifi before it gets eaten by my rottweiler!

Its another stereotype against the breed...

Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM

What's funny is my male does better around small dogs than the medium to large ones. It's like he knows they pose no threat to him. My female doesn't care about other dogs in general.

My mom's small dogs have only benefitted from all the training my dogs got because they're held to the same standards.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I have a very sweet shelter Rottie that I adopted about 3 months ago. She's doing very well with most of her training (she hardly had any training at all before I got her). She couldn't walk on a leash and knew no commands. She is coming along very well with her training on and off leash but still wants to visit with every dog we meet on our walks. She is not aggressive at all just very friendly. If I have her on the gentle lead it helps but I don't always want that on her. If I'm walking where I know there are lots of dogs she always wears it. She is about 18 months old. She doesn't automatically sit when another dog approaches but if I tell her to she will. But, she still won't stay sitting. She also doesn't really stay down. In fact, she doesn't really like to stay in any position very long. She's very well socialized, loves all dogs and people and even stays in her bed if I tell her to when our cat comes in the room. I would like to train her to be a therapy dog eventually because she has such a wonderful personality. Should I just be patient and diligent or work harder with her?

Old 04-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Sounds like you found yourself a great dog! She is still young, with lots of energy. Taking her out where there are other dogs is a great way to proof her stay. When you tell her to sit- also tell her to "STAY". This can be a great training exercise! Also a good place to practice "watch me". Take some very tasty treats along & when she keeps her sit & learns to keep her eyes on you- JACKPOT! Lots of cookies And please consider therapy training! Find a therapy group and ask if they have any specific training classes. She is a little young and she will need on-going training, but there can never be too many Rottie therapy dogs! My rescue girl should have already been certified, but I've been dealing with health problems & my own laziness!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Good idea. I'll bring some treats in my pocket next time and work with her when she's out with me. She's very gentle with little dogs and plays just as she should with big dogs. She LOVES children and anybody else who even looks at her. I know she would bring joy to people who are in tough situations. She sure does to me! I lost my other Rottie in December and although I miss her every second of every day, my new girl keeps me smiling through the tears!

Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm so glad to see this post and agree 100%. I own a rottie and chihuahua, it is my second time having this pairing as I love both breeds, and I have to say I have had great success both times, my dogs are not dog aggressive, are trained, supervised and in my home I expect my dogs to behave well and look to me, rather than run around out of control doing as they please.

I understand that not all large dogs like small ones, or are socialized with small ones, but for an owner to let their large dog attack and maybe kill a small dog (or any dog) and then try to justify it with a remark like "oh, my dog has never liked small dogs" makes my blood boil....so what, because someone has a small dog it is ok for their dog to be unsafe walking down the street with them, or for a large dog to be allowed to maul it just because the owner thinks that is normal thing for a large dog to do? To me that attitude is a cop out for excusing poor behavior/training/control of your dog while in public.

And I hate when people assume "oh the small dog probably deserved it, they are always barky and rude and out of control". I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly, there are jsut as many large dogs who are out of control and have irresponsible owners, just look at some of the posts on here and you here stories of it all the time. And most of the small dogs who are actually seriously attacked aren't doing anything at all except minding their own business - we've probably all seen it, you know the dogs who mean business and are serious, they don't come loping in with a bunch of noise and show, they come flying in quietly and go right for the neck, it is quick and scary to see. Even if a dog is barking at you from the end of it's leash as you walk down the street, that doesn't make it ok for your dog to get away from you and attack the other one. Yes it is annoying, but really that's about it, especially if your dog is well trained.

As an owner of a breed that has so many black marks in societies eyes, I feel it is even more important that my large do be socialized and safe around other small dogs, and if she wasn't I would make sure she was always focused on me and in control so an incident didn't to arise. As I would expect any owner to do, it is simply being responsible.

I will admit that when I am hiking with my dogs and a dog large enough to seriously hurt my chi comes running up loose with the owner far behind, or I am not happy with it's body language that I will pick my chi up - I am not trying to offend the owner of the large dog, it is simply that I don't know it or them and I don't want to take a chance when I have seen so many problems with dogs loose that shouldn't be and owners who are irresponsible. It only takes one bite and shake for a big dog to kill my little one, so not worth it to me. Although most dogs we run into our friendly, and my dogs big and little have appropriate greeting behavior/socialization so they seem to get along with everyone we meet. I just wanted to put this out there though so maybe if any of you see someone pick up their tiny dog you can think of this perspective also and no be offended.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 PM

vic grew up with 2 smaller dogs and has no isssue. vic and female jrt maree love to play together. he usually doesnt play with the small ones at the park because ..to us..it seems like he knows he could hurt them because of size. to me, size doesnt matter. yes, its in the training.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM

THANK YOU - JennyK, for a great post!!
Even tho it may not seem fair to some, many people are terrified of big dogs, especially a breed that has a bad rep and because of that, I will always give the small dog owner or a family with small children the path at the local park, while my dogs do a polite sit or down stay. I've seen many elderly toy breed owners pick up their dogs and I've seen the fear in their eyes. No matter how their dog is acting, I will get off the paved path or I will tell them that I will go the other way, so they don't have to fear. Lets face it, most dogs (large & small) are not trained or socialized. There is reason to fear, especially in an area where there have been fatal dog attacks (non Rottie) I'm not insulted if someone picks up their tiny dog. Like what has already been said, it only takes one bite. My friend lost her Yorkie to a snake bite, while my dogs have all been bitten at least once. The Yorkie was only 4lbs. He had obedience & agility titles & competed in flyball. He had very good manners, but he was just too small to survive the snake bite.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Novice Member

First off, since this is my first post,Iīm gonna introduce myself.My name is Rui and Iīm from Portugal. I tought that it would be too much, so I didnīt star a topic on the member introduction section. No need to clog up that section.

Now that Iīve properly introduced myself, Iīm going to explain my situation.

Me and my family have been thinking about saving(the right term?) a Rottweiler from a animal shelter. The idea came from our necessity of a large breed dog after we were victims of a burglary(actually two, but the second one they only got in our garage).We would be saving a dog in need, and at the same time,by adopting a physically imposing dog like the rott, we make any ill intentioned person think twice. That being said he doesnīt need to have a very developed guard instinct.The normal territorial drive of a dog would sufice.
Thing is, there a catch...

We have a 13 year old mixed-breed dog.Heīs about the same size as a bull terrier for instance. He was our first dog, and because of that mistakes were made. He wasnīt properly trained when he sould have been ,and now heīs pretty much itīs own master. We donīt like some of his attitudes, but heīs our old "mutt", so we indulge him.
Thing is, the rott that we are thinking about saving is 2/3 years old male (the vet canīt be anymore precise). Iīm worried about tension between same sex dogs. But at the same Iīve read that a big enough age diference can mitigate this problem.

Can training help the rott not respond to any provocation from my dog?He wasnīt agressive towards the other dogs in the shelter, but itīs best to be prepared for the worst and be pleasantly suprised.Thats my only problem. I donīt think that my dog can be a threat to the rott.