Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Valued Member

Re: Why does staring back at them make them angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujosmom View Post
I will def try this! I was so worried about him hurting himself that I wasn't thinking about running and getting the treat bag! I will get the treats before I attempt doing this again. I'm hoping the harness will help me have better control over him when he decides to lay down and doesn't want to go where I want him to.. it never matters how much I pull upwards on his leash and tell him "up" he WILL NOT budge! I usually have to pick him up and set him on his feet and alot of times he just plops right back down.. it's really frustrating sometimes! Thanks for the info!
That treat bag is the best thing since sliced bread. If you have a juicy slice of hot dog in your hand and he wants it, he won't be lying down and refusing to budge, he'll be on his feet trying to get it. Use that to your advantage.

When you pull on a leash, a puppy will naturally resist it. That's called the opposition reflex, and dogs have it. Think differently about the purpose of a leash - it's to keep him safe, not to steer him with. Use FOOD for steering at this stage and you'll find yourself with a very cooperative puppy that's begging to do something - anything - that you ask so he can earn his treat. That's motivational.

Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 992253 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 PM

my guy will stare so hard at me i swear he's trying to say something to me. usually i take him out to play,which is what he really wants to do. take advantage of this time to connect with your dog and enjoy the time.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM

had a border collie before- they drill holes thru you with staring! My 6mo rottie bitch loves eye contact as well- she watches all the time- I don't just stare back- I usually smile, make goofy faces, and talk to her, she loves it! Tilts her head, perks her ears, totally cute. She does intently stare while watching, usually adds a bark if she really wants something. Think smart working breeds really utilize eye contact for communication more than other breeds. If you aren't used to it, it can be pretty un-nerving!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Now that everyone has pretty much let me know that he is wanting me to do something else with him is this reason for staring, makes me feel better. I don't think it will bother me so much anymore it just made me a little nervous for some reason. Wouldn't things be so much easier if we could read their minds!!?!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujosmom View Post
Wouldn't things be so much easier if we could read their minds!!?!
You learn to ! My DH laughs at me because Justice will come up and I generally can figure out what he wants, whether it's attention (the come hither look), a drink (bad mom, I'm out of water), to go out (pointing at his belly), or food. Sometimes he gets what he wants, sometimes he doesn't .

Also associating words with events helps you 'read their minds.' If I don't get right the first time I keep trying and eventually he perks (ears, head tilt) at one of my suggestions.

Yes, we have conversations:

"Do you need a drink?" (nothing)
"Need to pee?" (nothing)
"Need to poo?" (nothing)
"Want to work?" (head tilt)... ding, ding, ding I got the right one

The only we don't ask is "wanna go for a walk?" cause the answer is always yes to that one!
'Maverick' OAC NJC TN-N PCD RA CRNMCL CRNT CGN TT HIC
CH 'Tali' AGNS AGNJS NAC NJC TN-N CGN HIC

Old 03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Valued Member

You have to remember that because dogs do not use our language until we teach them a meaning to specific words, their best means of cuing into us is to watch us, so they do!

They are such incredible observers that, as you train, you will find him picking up actions you are doing - generally that you are not even aware of - that he will then think are part of your command for the action you want from him! Then, if you don't include that inadvertant action, he will not generally perceive the action you had intended to be the command AS the command and will look at you like "WHAT???"! Another reason to have a trainer - to keep US on the straight and narrow!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM

ElleTrixie- I already have to spell walk and car because if I say them in conversation he's at the door in a split second.

I'm starting to be able to figure out the different stares, usually because if he has to go outside he sits and stares closer to the door. If he is hungry he goes to his food dish and sits and stares haha I guess he makes it easy on me.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Rottweilers stare, at least the ones I have had. In other dogs, it can be a signal they're getting ready to eat you. In Rotties, not so, just trying to clue in to what is going on.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 03-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasMom View Post
Rottweilers stare, at least the ones I have had. In other dogs, it can be a signal they're getting ready to eat you. In Rotties, not so, just trying to clue in to what is going on.

Thank goodness for that! That intense stare kinda made me nervous and made me think that maybe that's what he could be wanting to do! I will pay more attention to him when he's giving me these looks and find out what he's wanting me to do or what he would like to do!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM

my rott is a big talker..not much on staring, but does when he wants me on the floor with him lovin him up. the jrt's are another story. pip will stare and give puupy eyes....he has to pee. maree...throw the ball!!!!! we cant say walk, park or put jeans on, because they know what it means. i swear they can tell time also.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Valued Member

When my Rotties were pups if I stared at them in their eyes long enough they would divert their look elsewhere after a while. I guess I was intimidating them or putting up a challenge they were not willing to pursue. So I used staring to my advantage: like if I was eating something and they would look too much at my food I would stop eating and stare at them and they would go back to doing what they were doing before. Every now and then, I also wanted to ensure I was still the ''top leader'' therefore used to have staring contests....

However, as I gained more experience as an owner, I learned more about positive reinforcement training, therefore, I decided to make staring a positive thing. After teaching the ''look at me'' command, my Rotties now make eye contact with me and no longer feel intimidated. I actually praise them now for long eye contacts, the longer the better! I use it now to my advantage such as when we are walking and we have to pass towards unleashed dogs barking at us.

Now, with friendly eye contact between us, it is like if we opened a new line of communication. I often catch my dogs looking at me intensely almost as if they are trying to read my soul..it is hard to explain but it is as if they can tell lots of things about me now looking at me..there are also different types of stares: the ''pet me'' stare, the ''what was that noise, mom?'' stare, the ''can I get up now from my stay?'', stare the ''are you getting ready to do something?'' stare etc...

Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 AM

As mentioned Rottweilers stare, it part of what unnerves people not familiar with the breed. It's their wait and see attitude. They like to stand and look at something/someone new to assess the situation. Not just run over tail wagging. Your puppy is staring and making eye contact because you are the origin of almost all things fun and interesting in it's life as well as the guide to what to do. It's paying attention to you because it's waiting for the next fun thing to happen or for you to interact with it. My puppy/dog (year old now) watches my every move just in case I'm about to do something fun or tell her to do something and reward her. You should be worried if your puppy DOESN'T look at you often.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM

when we are walking if my guy gets to far in front of me and starts to pull i will say to him back here all the way back and that guy will just come right to me sit and look like ok can i i start to walk again?. if we are working then the command to heel comes into play. that smart guy knows the differnce between work and play. he can be so much fun.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Talking Re: Why does staring back at them make them angry?

Nikki, now at the bridge, would come and give me sweet eyes, then look to the kitchen cabinet where her treats lived. Then she'd look back at me, repeat process until I got up to give her one. She would also stare at food on my plate like she was trying to levitate it off and into her mouth, until I would tell her to know it off. The funniest was when she would lay in bed and stare into my eyes, until I would kiss her on the nose. then she would wipe it off with her paw as if she thought, "oh, mom, stop embarassing me", but she would come right back for another kiss

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM

One of my favorite things to do is to alter my body language and 'go after' my dog with tiger claws, my hands angled weirdly. They immediately know it's play (by repetition) and I have a dead stare at them.

Did none of you have staring contests with your dogs as kids? we did and always won.

By the way, dogs don't get angry, that's human. Any negative reaction would be fear related, not anger.

if you are worried about your dog, get into training and build a bond between you both. I just cannot fathom being scared of my dog. It would be like being scared of a sibling or something. My dogs are so much of my daily life, they are family in their doggie way.