Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Novice Member

Pulling during walks

Hi,
I have a 4 yo Rottie female. We have recently had to switch over to a harness because she had to have a pace maker placed in March (they never found out the cause of her heart stopping, but she hasn't had any more episodes since). Because of the pace maker, she cant have anything tight around her neck. We used to use a pinch collar or electric collar on her, and she was super well behaved. Since the surgery, she has been getting more and more disobedient. Walking her is incredibly hard; she is over 100 lbs, so when she pulls it pulls me. She doesn't listen to commands when she sees another animal or when she smells a scent. No matter how much I verbally correct her, she doesn't listen. It is becoming a physical strain on me, but I know she needs the exercise. I have looked online for no pull harnesses, but I know that just having the harness "tighten" will not distract her. The ones that I saw with the part that goes around the snout, seem to all go around the neck as well. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kalis Momma

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 AM

Re: Pulling during walks

I think you are referring to a halti - or a gentle leader. Those go around the snout and would probably be a better choice than a traditional harness that goes around her chest.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Valued Member

Sabellesmom made me aware of the Sensible harness and since then I can swear it works great for pulling dogs. It is basically almost a normal harness but you attach the leash to the front ring giving you lots of control. I cannot find one in Italy where I am now, so I just got a regular harness and attached the leash to the front ring. But go for the real thing if you can.Here is the website:

Dog Harness, Dog Training Supplies | Sense-ible and Sense-ation Dog Harness

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Yay! A convert to the sense-ible and sense-ation harness! They really help. You will notice the difference the first time you use it. So, consider it a tool and continue proper leashwalking etiquette. It certainly makes the job easier!

PS: The sense-ible, sense-ation does snug in a bit behind the elbows, but the main reason it works is the front attachment. Used properly, the dog will end up walking in a circle. It's a no brainer, for the dog. They soon realize their energy and efforts have been thwarted.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABELLESMOM View Post
Yay! A convert to the sense-ible and sense-ation harness! They really help. You will notice the difference the first time you use it. So, consider it a tool and continue proper leashwalking etiquette. It certainly makes the job easier!

PS: The sense-ible, sense-ation does snug in a bit behind the elbows, but the main reason it works is the front attachment. Used properly, the dog will end up walking in a circle. It's a no brainer, for the dog. They soon realize their energy and efforts have been thwarted.
Yes! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I used to use the prong collar at first and it worked great and faded it away gradually and then used it as a refresher every now and then, but tossed it away and replaced it with this kinder fabulous tool. It works great if you have a big dog and tend to worry about not being able to control unwanted behaviors like lunging and pulling. I have recommended it to clients that no longer walk their dog because they fear not being able to control them.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Vintage Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessadry View Post
I have recommended it to clients that no longer walk their dog because they fear not being able to control them.
Oh dear, that would be sad! I'm so glad you and others have found it helpful! You all KNOW how much I like them! I still own a prong way back from Sable. It's hanging old and dusty, unused... thank goodness. This is so much easier!

*There is one trick you can use in an emergency or unforseen (temporary) situation: It's an old trick from a hunting dog trainer using a regular collar (I know, no use to the OP) and a standard leash. Hold the clip of the leash on top of the whithers, and slip the lead under the dog's chest/belly and back under the leash. This creates a loop of leash wrapping the dog.

Light pressure is all it takes! So if you're out for a walk and "surprise!" you have a potential danger situation, (another dog, unexpected squirrel) do this quickly! You may save yourself some wrenched knees and twisted fingers.*

PS: If you find the Wayne Hightower harness, it is essentially the same as the Sense-ible, Sense-ation. I believe some parts of the WH version are reflective, for night use.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Try feeding her meals on her walks. When she is not pulling and is beside you, feed a small handfull of kibble. Next thing you know, she will be glad to walk beside you. So simple, and works (as long as your dog likes food).

43% of all statistics are worthless!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM

The no-pull harness would exert some pressure to the chest...would that be a problem for her? The reason it works is not simply because it tightens, rather when the dog tries to pull, the force is redirected to the side...making it impossible for the dog to pull and move forward (not sure I explained that clearly!).
I would think the halti might be the safest option though. Also, you might go back to square one with training...reteach polite walking...you only walk forward when she's not pulling...if she pulls, stop and wait for her to move back into position, or turn 180 degrees and walk the other way for a few steps...reward her when she is at your side...if she'll target your hand, you can use that to help keep her in position. Start training her in areas where there are few distractions till she does well, then gradually increase the distractions for her.
Hope she continues to do well...as someone living with a pacemaker, they can really make a dramatic difference. Best wishes.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 PM

My trainer suggested changing direction when the dog gets distracted or not paying attention. This really works while walking Macey because she gets so zoned in on stiffing it forces her to pay attantion to me. Also, I always keep a pocket of snacks so when is get her focus back on me I reward her.

Good Luck

Michele

Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Novice Member

A gentle leader or brand name "halti" is great for pulling dogs. Get the one that you attach a lead on the loop under the dog's nose. It works like a bridle on a horse. You lead a horse around by a bridle which works by getting the horse to walk in the direction its head is being lead in. You are only moving the head not pulling the whole horse around by its neck or body. The same principle applies to the "halti' You lead the dog around by its head. If you turn the head the body follows in the direction the head is turned. I use a safety chain as well around the neck in case the "halti" breaks which means the safety chain will take over and my dog will not become loose to do what it wants. Happy "halti" walking. It truly means your arms are not yanked out of their sockets!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Valued Member

Since this dog is unable to wear a collar around her neck, neither the gentle leader or the halti is a viable choice. The Soft Touch Sense-ation harness will be your best choice.

Also, now would be a great time to begin teaching. Since her behavior using a prong and an e-collar was good and as soon as you remove them, now her behavior is declining, that tells me you managed her behavior with these collars rather than actually teaching her what you want.

Pick up a book on clicker training and learn how to teach her in a way that she will understand the lessons and what you expect from her. Between clicker training, the Sense-ation harness, time, and a large dose of patience, my bet is you'll be pleased with the result.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM

My girl,Isa, is two. I used basic training. She still pulls some days on regular leash and collar. I practice with her, but she also hikes frequently with my off leash, private property, and has full run. Hard to go back and forth. She laid in the middle of the street when she was younger on her back and bunny kicked the halti off her face. Hated it and created a dangerous situation with traffic. ! Maybe it was on wrong, but I tried to follow directions with the same result. I"m considering the Sense-ible harness I've been hearing good reviews.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 AM

I got a sense-ible harness for Xoe (it just came) but am wondering if using it will interfere with using her in carting later on?

Or does the carting harness put pressure in other areas?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Vintage Valued Member

The front attachment of the sense-ation or sense-ible is what makes it different from a carting harness. One directs the dog from the front, ie: walking in a circle and snugging in behind the elbows if they try to pull. The other, a rear hook up, actually "promotes" pulling. Your dog will not be confused.

I agree. The halti or gentle leader is not an option since the dog is unable to wear a collar.