Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Novice Member

My Rott always puts her butt on me

There's no doubt I've got some bavioral issues with my new dog (she's a 16 month old rescue we've had for about 4 months) and I just wanted clarification on this particular behavior-Whenever I'm or laying on the floor, she always comes over to me and sits her butt right on my chest or face if I don't react in time. Or if I'm sitting up, she'll either sit on my lap, or position herself so her behind is facing me. I'm assuming it's some sort of way to show dominance. She's not aggressive in these moments and I can usually sit her down or roll her over onto her back without resistance. Just wondering if this is common?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Re: My Rott always puts her butt on me

Don't get all hung up on "dominance" just because she is a Rottweiler. Maybe she just wants you to scratch her butt. Cooper used to back up to people all the time; for a while he had a tag that had "Scratch My Butt" engraved one one side. In his case it was a sort of affectionate greeting for people he knew and liked. It worked, is why he did it.

If you don't like this behaviour, tell her to stop it. If she is not generally pushy and bossy (although I just responded to your other question about grooming so maybe, big-picture, she is) then it's not a big deal. If she is pushy and bossy, don't allow it.

Search for "NILIF." Not a cure-all, but definitely a good start.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Valued Member

This is normal behavior for my 2.5 year old male. It's got nothing to do with dominance in his case, he just LOVES having his back scratched, much much more than his face or shoulders, so he sits on our laps and waits for the scratches to come. If we're standing up he'll come, turn around and lean his whole body against our legs (back facing us). Your girl sounds to like this as well and I'm thinking it's actually a very good sign that she's trusting you so much already and showing signs of a bond between you two. As Carina suggested though implementing NILIF is always a good idea, no matter how sweet a dog is.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Valued Member

I have possibly one of the most affectionate rotties known to mankind. He lives to be as snuggly as possible. If I were to sit on the floor ( I hate the floor so never sit there) I swear he would lay on me if he could. If I sit on the couch he will try to put his butt in my lap. He is not a dominant dog at all. He came to me with no training and just crave affection. He has learned that invading my space to the extent of being in my lap is not always what I want. With Lou it has nothing to do with dominance it's all about affection. He will stop if I ask.

Have you started any obedience classes? What are you working on training wise in the house?

It sounds like your girl is feeling very comfortable with you and showing her affections.

If you don't want these behaviors then work on commands when she attempts this.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Valued Member

Ok, I just read your other post about grooming. It sounds like you have a very weak nerved dog.

I have a weak nerved girl too. What is she like? Fearful of everything? I ask because this behavior might have more to do with her needing comfort or calming than trying to be dominant.

**We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. Immanuel Kant

Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 AM

I think Harleychik is probably on track. My sister's Rottie would back her butt up against you or sit on your feet if she was unsure about something. My puppy Bella also has done this several times. I think they find it comforting being able to feel you are there, but still be able look at what they're unsure about.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 AM

My puppy has been doing this since the day he came to live with us (about 3.5 months ago) , no aggression or dominance at all. Now 5 months, he is definitely getting a bit heavy, don't know what'll happen when he is all grown up (I guess he'll be more than 40kg), & still wants to sit in our lap.

May be I've a cute little lapdog in a Rottweiler's coat/body & I just love it when he sits in my lap.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM

Yep Missy likes to be as close as possible she sits with her bum on your feet and she is the most cuddly buggle ever! If im reading a book laying on the floor she will spoon with u (lay down and roll into u!) And if out and about she is unsure of something a noise or a new walk ect she will walk right next to u i mean she almost pushes into u, i dont stop it because it keeps us both safe

Old 08-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Vintage Valued Member

No doubt it's just "normal" behavior. I have one female who does this because she prefers butt skritches. She's the furthest from dominant dog in my household. Perhaps she pictures herself an affectionate lap dog. What I've done is make sure I'm not in a position to have my head sat upon, or just tell ner no. It works.

When the dog is a Rottweiler, people tend to get hung up on the dominance idea. It's like looking for trouble then being certain you've found it. Your dog is simply comfortable being affectionate. Be glad. The solution is simple. The dog will stop when she's asked.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM

i can be in a line with my dogs and they will back up into someones foot and put their butts on it. how many times i get the "your dog is sitting on my foot" remark.
just them being dogs. they feel comfortable and maybe get a back scratch while at it.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Most of mine have done this, the ones who love getting their back scratched anyway. Just give them a command to do something else. Really, sometimes we make mountains out of molehills.

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Lucy has been doing this since she was around 4 months old or so -- she will be 2 in September and still likes to sit on Mama's lap. I have to push her off after a little while because she is too heavy for me
I don't ever want her to stop - it is our cuddle time.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM

My boy does this, usually with tongue hanging out, head cocked to one side while looking at me like I am his favourite thing on earth. I quite like it.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Yep, Callie does it too. I'm starting to see a trend

Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Valued Member

Oh how I wish mine would do this! Once in a blue moon, she'll stick her butt up to me if I'm facing forward and she wants her butt scratched-believe me I do it. She's not a "lover" so I take any chance she gives to scratch her. My JRT would live in my pocket if I let her-big difference but I don't really want her on my lap! Enjoy rottie snuggles if that's what you think they are-if you don't want them, tell her "off": that's what my jack thinks her name is!