Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 AM

My rotti bit me

I have a 1 year old rotti, he is really nice loving dog loves cuddles and attention. He was lied on the floor with a bone which I got for him he buryed it in backarden so I wiped it down and he took it in the house, he lied on the floor as iv got up from the couch he jumped up and pounced on me, my boyfriend is saying he has to go but I really think he didn't do
it on purpose is there any chance he could do it again or what would you suggest this is the 1st time he has ever bitten me propper other tines have been snaps and nipps thanks guys,

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Re: My rotti bit me

He needs more training and needs it quickly. For now I would not be giving him any more bones. (I hope the bone was raw) I always taught my kids to let me go near there food and take it away anytime I wanted. That holds true witrh there toys also.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Sounds like there's a leadership struggle going on between you and your dog, and he thinks he's in charge.

What kind of training have you done with him???

From what you said, he has been giving you signs (snaps and nips) that he does not have to mind you.

If you don't take action with him now, he IS going to bite you harder. If you get rid of him, he's going to do the same thing in his new home and will probably end up dead.

Time to get going - get some help from a trainer and do it today.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Valued Member

xsaraxhx, I did a search on posts you made. You've made three. It appears you adopted your dog from a cat and dog shelter.

In rottweiler or x ? HELP !! you wrote he had been took back 3 times for snappin at people and wouldn't settle.

In dog seems to go crazy, you again noted we got him from the cats and dogs home were he had been sent back 3 times for snapping at people and he wouldnt settle. In this post at least three people who responded urged you get yourself and your dog in class.

Now you've posted that your dog pounced on you and bit you. Again, two posters urged you to take your dog to class.

What is it going to take to get you to understand you MUST get yourself and your dog into class? You do not--I repeat--DO NOT have a choice in this.

Find a good trainer and get yourself and your dog into class.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM

What A.B. Said. And my question to you is (if you haven't already), with your dog's history and with the advice you've received in your prior posts, WHY haven't you enlisted in classes??

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM

I have been looking for trainers but looking for some near me I spent a full night Reading on how to train untill I find a trainer near the other problems are fine now he has learned alot since we got him he has never
done it b4 it was only when he had the bone he is fine with food

Old 07-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Please don't believe that this is simply going to go away. Your Rottie is only going to get bigger, stronger, and more powerful! This dog is still fairly young that you should be able to easily correct his dominant behavior if YOU GO TO A CLASS OR GET ONE ON ONE TRAINING NOW!!!

Right now you are setting the dog up for FAILURE! YOU ARE! The dog will do what he does until YOU CORRECT HIM! Now let's see. He pounced, you didn't correct. He learned a new behavior. He will do it again. Now instead how about he pounces, you correct, he stops, he learned a new behavior.

I so commend you for you giving him a home. I realize we may be coming down hard on you but we want you to understand the importance of getting your dog training. We want to hear of your success story! We want to see pics of your precious dog showing off all of the training he has! Now go get that training!!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Valued Member

You are this dogs last chance.
With his track record, nobody would even think of trying to re-home him.
Please listen to the people urging you to get help for him.
A full nights reading just doesn't cut it.
And fyi, every post similar to yours mentions that the dog's never done it before. Your dog has done it before (he was returned 3 times). You cannot afford to waste any time.
Good luck
Alison

Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettman View Post
He needs more training and needs it quickly. For now I would not be giving him any more bones. (I hope the bone was raw) I always taught my kids to let me go near there food and take it away anytime I wanted. That holds true witrh there toys also.
I don't know if I would go with the "not giving him bones" approach. The beautiful thing about dogs is if their behavior is easily reproducible, it is easily corrected.

My rottie snapped at me around 4 months old when chewing a bone. I simply corrected it by "claiming" the bone as my own and showing disapproval to the behavior. I then implemented a ritual of making her sit, putting the bone on the floor, saying "okay" to allow her to get the bone, wait a few seconds, and "claim" the bone as my own. A few times of this and I have never had a problem since.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Valued Member

You've received good advice. Please, please get serious about working on your dog's behavior. If you want this dog to live, you need to get qualified help as quickly as possible. IF that means you have to travel, spend some money, etc.....well, you made a committment to this dog when you took him in.

The situation you described in this thread is resource guarding. In essence, your dog was saying "this is mine and I am willing to protect it with my teeth." The question is WHY he feels the need to protect it in the first place? The answer lies in his past history and possibly how people have interacted him with - but for your purposes, you know you need to change that viewpoint.

In a dog where resource guarding is the only issue, things are easier. In your case, you need to do a complete relationship overhaul. You should be:

1. Exercising this dog a LOT, within the bounds of the weather and his physical limitations. He should be one tired pooch, each and every day. Tired dogs have less inclination to start fights.

2. Implement NILIF and stick to it like a religion. This dog should work for every scrap of your attention and everything he cares about in life. His life should be structure and routine for now.

3. Work with a trainer on private lessons. You need someone to help you understand his temperament, his body language, what makes him tick.

As far as the resource guarding goes, were I in your shoes:

1. I would ignore any inclination or advice to take a bone or other item directly from him right now. You will be bitten.

2. He would not eat his meals out of a bowl. I would put his kibble in my pocket and use meal-times as a chance to train.

3. All toys would come up off the ground. He would play with them only when you give them to him....he can't just wander over and take one at his leisure. It may just be a bone that he's willing to bite over...but he has room to learn in other areas too.

4. If you do give him a HIGH value item (marrow bones are better than rawhide, by the way), he eats it in his crate or in a gated room, in peace. Walk by occasionally and toss a really yummy treat at him. Ignore any growling... you should have him crated/gated....so you're safe. Over a period of time, perhaps months, you will teach him that a person approaching while he's eating a bone is cause for joy because treats are on the way. This will take awhile, you MUST be consistent and persistent. You will know you're on the right track when he looks away from his goody and wags his tail or looks happy when he sees you coming, rather than hovering over it/growling, stiffening, etc.

5. Work on the trade game with very low value items only. Something he really doesn't care much about....like a toy he rarely plays with. Have a bag of yummy treats like chicken, beef, cheese, etc. Give him the toy without showing him the treats. Wait until he's interested in it, preferably nosing/mouthing it. Then show him a treat and ask him to "drop it." When he lets go of the toy, praise and treat, while picking up the toy. Then give the toy back promptly and begin again. End the session after a few repetitions and take the toy with you. You want him to learn that giving things to you results in good things but you cannot do this (at first) with an item he cares about. You will work up to higher-value items eventually but it will take awhile and I suggest you work with your trainer on that.

Best of luck. You have a lot of work ahead of you but you CAN do it. When you have a well-adjusted, well-mannered dog in your household, you'll realize that it was worth every penny and every minute.

Pieka, NW2, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM

nothing more to say just follow the advises you got from the members and you are back in the game!
i had the same problem when my rottie was 3-4 months old and now after teaching him what is proper i stand by him while eating and allows me to take anything.
you can see my threads for the subject.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM

They are absolutely right, you and your Rottie needs training ASAP. Now, I've been bitten by 2 Rotties in my hand before and I assure you it's not fun.

The first time I was bitten was when we adopted a 5 year old female and I was paying more attention to her than my 7 year old male. Long story short, he was about to attack her and she fear bit me. The second time was also a fear bite because the male was about to pounce on her again (both times the male only nipped her hind quarters; there was no broken skin or blood.) Both times were my fault for not being observant and for not understanding their behaviours. After the first month of her adoption she and the male had a terrific relationship that lasted for 7 more years. It was a true blessing - once the female recognized the male was dominant (he was 200 lbs and she was only 90 lbs.)

The second Rottie to bit me was my current male - right after he recovered from heartworms. That was my fault too, but I made sure he understood this was not acceptable behaviour and has been a wonderful companion since. This because we made sure we were trained & constantly - even today - reinforce that training.

Training, consistancy, and patience. You need that now or else your poor dog will suffer, not you.