Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Novice Member

Question Male vs Female, Difference In Behavior?

Hello all, Precious here im not sure if i posted this in the right place but here we go any way.

I have a few questions about male vs female behavior, i am currently looking at getting a male rottie because i will be moving out on my own soon and being considerably larger and intimidating just by sheer size alone i think it would be a good choice(plus rotties are the best cuddlers ;).
My dilemma is, i previously had a female rottie (precious) and she was a gem, well trained and easy to learn, great with kids, calm,loved the whole family etc..Now I have been around a few male rotties but didn't train them or spend much time with them so their behavior is a slight mystery to me.Iv read a lot but nothing i have found answers my questions satisfactory enough.So my questions are...
Are males easier to train or harder, more stubborn or not, are they good with kids like the females are, are they a whole family dog or a one person dog, are they more protective.
I would really appreciate any help and advice you guys can give me to help with my choice. Thanks !

Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Re: Male vs Female, Difference In Behavior?

Our male is more stubborn but so far has been easier to train. BUT we got the male when he was a teeny pup and the female is a rescue and she was almost a year when we got her. So that might have something to do with it too.

She knows what stay means, she just doesn't always think it applies to her. Our male gets in more trouble ... eating anything and everything from rocks to tissues. Our female is wonderful in the house (other than chasing the cats, but both dogs have that issue).

When the male leaves the room I have to call him back or go get him otherwise he'll have his head in the garbage looking for something to feed his starving body. My female won't leave me at all unless to tell me she has to potty.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Have had both females and males during my 30 years of owning this lovely breed.

If anything I find the males easier to train, calmer and also equally gentle with children and other people in general as the females.

But both females and males requires a lot of work from the owner to become great dogs. They can not be put away in a yard, they need close contact with their owner(s), and they also need to be loved.

If they are not trained properly in how to behave around other dogs they can be quite difficult to handle when meeting dogs in the streets etc. And as the males are so much heavier than the females they are equally more difficult to handle. And to your notion - they might seem kind & sociable the first two years - but it is when they are three you can see if your efforts have been sufficient.

So - if you are not very experienced I recommend training classes almost from the very day your pup comes to your house.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM

It depends entirely on the dog and his or her temperament. The toughest, most challenging Rottie I owned was a female. The easiest was a male.

I suggest that you find yourself a good breeder or rescue group and tell him or her/them what you're looking for in your next Rottie. This is the way to get a dog that suits you to a "T." Doing anything else is problematic.

UCDX North Eastís Full of Moxie CDX, RE, CS, NEDDC NDD, BMDCA DD, NWPD, TT, CGC, TDI, HIC
December ? 1999 - November 7, 2011

Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBunny View Post
It depends entirely on the dog and his or her temperament. The toughest, most challenging Rottie I owned was a female. The easiest was a male.

I suggest that you find yourself a good breeder or rescue group and tell him or her/them what you're looking for in your next Rottie. This is the way to get a dog that suits you to a "T." Doing anything else is problematic.

I agree 100%.

Every dog is different, regardless of gender...

Morgen Vom Haus Norton (7-21-09)
Gesta Vom Blaurasen (12-10-05)
~~~
Gheita(Dobe) 83-95
Bear 86-97
Abbey 91-95
Sara 95-03
Jackson 95-99
Kai 94-03
Marshall 00-10
Lambie Pie ?? to 11

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Dogs are different irregardless of gender. That said, I am more female oriented and find them a tad easier to train. They don't seem to get distracted as easily... or maybe it's just me.

Stetson is wonderfully intellegent and willing, but there just seems to be a bit of a "Gosh, mom! I didn't hear you." theme in his work ethic, occasionally. I think boys hide those brain shipments from UPS in the bushes somewhere so they don't have to grow up and mature too quickly.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 AM

I agree, it all depends on the dog. I currently have a dog and a bitch, both are wonderful in the house, friendly, great with children. The girl is maybe a little more stubborn, but she is 7 1/2 and thinks she is boss of the world. I raised both of these dogs from puppyhood and I train constantly which I thinks makes a big difference.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 PM

All of the above is excellent advice, temperament is key to the personality I've seen goofy males and females but the female I had was just as stubborn as any male I've seen really it depends on each dog.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:01 PM

I've had a female and now a male. It''s been MY experience that even though its all relative to the actual DOG... (some males can be exceptional and easy to train, and the same can be said for females.) My history with both is that my female was much less stubborn than my male. Easily trained in both obedience and house training. Protective when needed be.... not overly protective of children. She was very maternal and tolerant of infants and toddlers.

Now with my male... I have to be on top of his every move (most of the time). As he puts almost anything in his mouth.. except hands. Will try to mark a territory inside the home... now that his testes are full dropped ... will display a sense of stubborness. But my dude is still a pup so I expect all of the above from him. He is tolerant of my kids as well, but displays strong protective drive for both house/yard and kids (hence... I am always on top of his every move). I think early and constant socialization is definitely needed for both. Equally as much as proper training.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM

I have had 2 females and two males. All I can say is they are different but fun.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM

owned them for 20 years. males and females. individual temperament rather than what sex are they.
both learn fast, and you get out what you put into them.
i've had all types of temperaments between both sexes.
CH.Gala CD,RN,CGC
RIP-ARAGORN,ARLO,KRISTEN,JOSIE,LAUS

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Novice Member

Here is my opinion on this. Males are more social with their owners. As long as the male is neutered he will be more cuddly, acceptance of effection and friendlier in general. Females tend to be less likely to wanna accept new members in the household, tend not to like to be hugged, but love attention and petting. Females tend to be more stand-offish compared to a neutered male.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneandRueger View Post
Here is my opinion on this. Males are more social with their owners. As long as the male is neutered he will be more cuddly, acceptance of effection and friendlier in general. Females tend to be less likely to wanna accept new members in the household, tend not to like to be hugged, but love attention and petting. Females tend to be more stand-offish compared to a neutered male.
I have both a 4 year old male and a 3 year old female and the above perfectly sums up their differences. It might also be relevant that we got the male when he was 8 weeks old and the female when she was 5 months... I often wondered if perhaps this caused the male to bond more/closer to us.

Also the female tends to be a "resource horder" which is hilarious at times but also can be highly annoying.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM

I have had for almost three years a male and a female. They are both wonderful dogs, my male at first was a bit stubborn, but now is very focused as he exits the teen age phase. He really works hard to please hubby and I. My female is very sweet with kids and people, my male a bit more aloof, but tolerates well being pat by people he likes and does not fear.

I think it's a matter of personality as others have said, if I had to choose a puppy I would not look at gender but would figure out with the help of a responsible breeder, which pup matches best your personality and experience.