Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Novice Member

My Rottweiler still act like a baby and little scary..

My Rottweiler is female (first of all), she's age is about 1year and half (1.5).
she's very cute and all, but she has to be guard dog...
first of all, since we get her at about age 2monthe's we always give her a love, she was about 2months - 3 months at home and then we put her in the garden.
we always fondling when we see her, talk with her, play...
but i think she became too much friendly.. i want her to save the house of course, but also don't bite peoples (in the night.. she won't give them let in by instinct and not let peoples get in the house without the owner...), why it so matter to me? because few days ago, i was listening to music loud and i didn't knew that my neighbor died.. so the sister of the neighbor came into the house and knock on the door (she went into the house garden...) but my dog didn't do anything to her.. also didn't bark (maybe she know that she came to the house friendly and not to do some crime?)
also problem with other dogs.., today i was in the park and there were some dogs, my dog first time didn't afraid and keep stand there, the was some stupid guy there with 1year old pitbull that he tried to send his dog on mine... the pitbull at the end did nothing to my dog because she barked at the pitbull and he stopped.. but when i walked i have meet a Cane Corso dog... he was young too (1 year something like that) but he was much more aggressive then my dog (he started with my dog..., my dog was connected to collar and the other dog broke his own collar so he went free (the cane corso was female too).

My questions is:
1) How can i check if my dog guarding in the night? and if she don't and she has to do it, how can i make her to do it? or maybe she still young to do it? (because sometimes i back late to home, went into the house and she don't even come to check who it is... or maybe she know that its me?)
2) How can i make my dog to be not so lovely with other dogs that start to attack her? she don't even try to bite them :\ she just try to escape from the place with some yellings... before the cane corso were free my dog barked on her because he barked too... also at the end of the situation my dog barked... :|) she's a rottweiler she don't have to be so lovely with someone that start with her...
also sometimes i see big dogs that's come after my dog so i choose another path... shall i go in the dog path?

I know i wrote alot, and there some (alot) grammer mistakes but that's a problem ;)

please help me with my questions..., or maybe she still young so she afraid of those things?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Re: My Rottweiler still act like a baby and little scary..

First, it sounds like you have a perfectly lovely, stable dog. That is a good thing.

I know that you are in another country and expectations for dogs might be different. But here is the truth: It is likely unrealistic to expect your dog to know who is a threat and who is not. It is far better that she be friendly to everyone, than aggressive to those you love, right?

Though she is still very young, only a few dogs have the solid temperament needed for true protection. Those dogs have been trained by professionals for years. They also come with significant maintenance and liability, though I don't know what the status of insurance is where you live. You'll see many dogs bark at strangers - that often is a fear based response. The dog isn't "protecting" at all. That being said, a big bark is an excellent deterrent.

If you truly need protection for you and your home, it's unfair to expect your young, untrained dog to fill that role. Take other steps - a security system, a high wall, etc. If you feel you it MUST be a dog, seek professional help and enjoy your lovely girl!

I hope this helps.

Pieka, CD-C, RL2, RL1X, RN, BH, CGC
Whiskey, CD, RN, CGC, TT
Louie, CGC, TDI
Sofia, CGC., TDI, TT, HIC, (1997-2008)

Old 09-13-2009, 05:59 PM

I know you will get A LOT of response here and though some people may be a little harsh please listen with an open mind because a lot of people on here have LOADS of knowledge and you have an opportunity to learn a lot from them.
That being said, I'll let everybody that has more experience than me answer your questions. Good luck to you and your girl. Just give her lots of love! She sounds truly wonderful just like she is!

Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Novice Member

Yes i think its a good thing too that she's not aggressive,
We do have a security in our house... (wall, alarms...) but rottweiler is a guard dog in his blood... so it looked strange to me that the dog so lovely ;) maybe she still too young to show her aggressive side... (she still sleep a lot).
I would like her to stay like that (so lovely) but still to protect and show some aggressive when needed ;)

So i have 2 questions:

- Is my dog still young?
she still sleep a lot, even on the nights (not so awake to what happens, not so watchful and check every weird sound...), also her ears don't so small (I see rottweilers pictures, and their ears are small to his face.. like two triangles like in those pictures:

So, my rottweiler still young? she can grow more? i would like to see her ears more smaller then her face ;)
and when the most rottweilers stop growing?

- How can i make my rottweiler to do (i don't know that word hehe) but the standing in picture number 2..., he stand alert and ready for everything... and its beautiful... i know they born with this standing but i am sure that there someway to learn them how to do this..

Thanks for the fast response :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rottweiler.jpg (26.3 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by roscoe; 09-14-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Novice Member

"but rottweiler is a guard dog in his blood... " actually rottweilers were originally use as cattle dogs. A herding breed... security was just something that was a pleasant side effect of their herding nature.

Your girl is still a pup at 1 1/2 years old... She will reach social maturity around 2-21/2 years old. This is the point where she will step up and start being a "productive" member of the pack. She sounds terrifficly balanced and stable. Socialize her with all types so she will be able to read people better. Also if she was familliar with your neighbor if only thru smell and had never met her she probally didn't preceive her as a threat. have a guy she doesn't live near try to do the same thing and I bet she reacts differently. Of course this could play out badly for the guy. Most Rotts are reactive to intruders when they try to leave so she might also be this type of rott. "I'll let ya in, but ya better not try to leave". Religating her to the garden doesn't help either. If she were in the house with you she would feel that this was her place and maybe be more protective of it.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Let me start by saying that I am not an expert when it comes to guard dogs or training for them. I can only give my opinion and advice based off of what my Daisy Dog has taught me over the years.

When I first got Daisy she was aggressive and barked at everything and everyone. With alot of love, training, and patience she has made a complete 180. She is a very loving affectionate dog. She no longer barks when people pull into my driveway, instead she becomes excited and her little nub goes to town.

But even though she is my big ol' mush. She still shows signs that she is my guard dog and she will protect me if the time came. And I think alot of that is instinct and her being with her previous owners.

The only time she will show signs of aggression or protective behavior is if someone with a weapon is present. Like a police officer. Or if someone with an aggressive attitude is near. They can sense your feelings, and adrenaline, seeing as we release certain smells depending on our moods.

Almost the same as when you are sad and upset and you can just tell your dog knows cause they will try and come and snuggle up with you or lay beside you. I think your dog is just young and still is learning the world around them and all the people and emotions we wear on our sleeves.

You should be glad your dog did not go after someone coming into your property with non aggressive behavior. I'm sure if someone came in with intent to hurt you or the dog she would have reacted differently.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Novice Member

Thanks everyone for the answer, i love my rott !!! =)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Your Rottie is beautiful. In my opinion, rotties know who is coming before we can tell. When I'm asleep and a family member knocks on my door, she would just go over; however when people she never seen before knocks or just comes close to my door she would let off a warning growl. Also, let your rottie stay in the house with you, Rotties as all dogs do need love and I will bet she will surely protect whats precious to her. And finally, take her everywhere with you; let her see what is regular or ordinary this way she can distinguish what is ordinary and what is not.
Your dog sees you as the pack leader, stop letting other dogs bully her; its your job to protect her. When she gets fed up and has to do it herself, it may get ugly.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Novice Member

My 18 month male Rotti behaves exactly like yours and I can totally relate to you on everything you are experiencing. Sirus is extremely friendly and will not bark at anyone who comes to the house. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in this situation. I too want a dog who will protect me, however I currently do not believe that Sirus will protect himself or me. His large size is a deterrent and I've been told to wait until he fully matures and his guard instinct will improve. I love my Rotti regardless and I have no regrets on how I raised him.