Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Question wants to chew on my hands

I have an 11 month old male Rotti. He is very smart and sweet, likes belly rubs and loves to play with our 3 year old female dashound. He will roll over on his back and let my dashound walk all over him. They have a great time together (it is quite funny). However, my rotti likes to chew on my hands, it does not hurt and he is very gentle when he does this. I have tried to correct him by saying NO, but that does not seem to matter. He still does it. Should I continue to tell him NO?? Or am I worrying over nothing??

Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Re: wants to chew on my hands

Instead of correcting him try redirecting him to a favorite chew toy or bone instead. It works wonders.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Valued Member

Seems like his way to display affection, the fact he does not hurt you and is gentle seems like he has learned good bite inibition as a puppy, but I still think he should stop when told to. Does he simply come up to you when sitting and start the behavior? Is he being pushy, like if you tell him no, he will come back and do it again?

Perhaps you can teach him the ''off'' command? Like I do not allow my Rotties to auto-invite themselves when my hubby and I are sitting by the couch. If they do, I tell them ''off'' with a hand gesture and they will go away. Then when I feel like it, I call them and pet them, but it is always on my terms.

You can also try to rub some bitter apple on your hands so if he does come to lick your hands when you do not see him approaching he will get a bad taste and hopefully be discouraged from doing it less. I used this as a reinforcer when my pups were nipping at 4 months old.

My hubby had a similar sort of problem last summer, my female Rottie wanted to force my hubby to mandatory ''pedicures''. Every time he took his socks off, she wanted to go lick his feet and carefully clean between the toes, lol! This is when we enforced the ''off '' command and it worked for us.

Taim's method of redirection as suggested above is a valid and positive one. I agree it works wonders, like when he comes to lick your hands say ''no'' and toss a toy or a kong so he knows what is permissable to chew on and what is not.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:53 PM

When I adopted my rescue Hogan at 18 mths old, he did the same thing. I hated it and constantly correcting him with a stern voice and directing his chewing to his nylon bone eventually worked. It took I'd say about a good month, but it did work. Don't even let him do it at any time after he is corrected for it or he will not learn. Good Luck

Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Valued Member

Correcting implies the dog understands he or she is doing something wrong. And until I'm sure my dog--especially my young dog--knows appropriate behavior, I'm not a fan of correcting.

It's likely your 11 mo old doesn't fully know or understand he shouldn't be chewing on your hands. If this was my young dog, instead of sternly correcting him, I'd be offering him a stuffed toy or other item he could chew. As soon as the dog took the item in his mouth, I'd be throwing a party, making that dog feel he was the smartest, cleverest, most wonderful young dog in the world.

This likely means I'd constantly be carrying around a toy to stuff into his mouth until he twigged onto the fact hands are for petting him, toys are for him to chew.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM

You have been given a lot of great advice.

On a side note, you may be able to also use this to your advantage to be able to brush his teeth

Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try them. By the way he is not pushy with it, I can be just standing and he will come up and put my hand in his mouth

Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Glad to see this thread. I have had dogs before but this is my first Rottie. He loves to chew on my hands as well. I have been trying to redirect him to his toys. He easily moves on to his toys about half the time now. I guess consistency and time will eventually get him to 100%.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM

My Rottie follows me around the house like my shadow, she will put her mouth in my hand as I am walking, I pull my hand away and walk in another direction. She still does this once in a while but not as often.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 PM

vic likes to take your hand and "walk" you. he'll do it if he wants to go out. 1st he gives a bark. ask him what he wants and he'll come over and take your hand. he'll direct you to his fav wrestling spot or take you to the kitchen to have you chase HIM around the table. aahhh...i'll keep my goober dog. lol

Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM

My boy Kane still does this but not as often. What he has started doing though, which I think is quite funning. When I am sitting in a chair watching TV he will come over and kinda tosses my legs up so he on get under them. When he does this I use him as a foot stool which is quite cozy (ha ha) He will lay that way until I get up