Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM

2 year old rescue dog peeing in house

I aquired Sava from a girl that had to get rid of him. he is a well spirited, playful and friendly German Rott. he, however, is driving me nuts. I have had him about 3 weeks and he isn't marking, he is blatantly peeing in the house. I
let him out regularly and even after being outside for any period of time he comes in and pees somewhere. sometimes on the steps, the back room by the laundry, the bathroom, the bed room....

I have him limited to the livingroom during the night and he doesn't pee there anymore, and, as soon as i open the babygate, I let him outside and say OUTSIDE. I watch him go potty 2-3 times and say GOOD BOY, as soon as he is inside he runs and pees as mentioned above.

I then scold and nose rub and immediately place him OUTSIDE again. I dont want to make outside a place of punishment but he is about to spend his life out there.

It is very possible he spent all day and night in a crate but who knows? the pervious owner said only at night, she also told me he never goes in the garbage.<<<yeah right

Please help Sava and me,

Albert

PS: he has warmed up to me very well and has put on 3 pounds since he has been here as he was underweight when I got him.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
One of the Old Folks

Unhappy Re: 2 year old rescue dog peeing in house

Stop rubbing his nose in his own urine!!! This will only teach him that you are some sort of a crazy nut, that should be avoided.

Is this dog neutered? If not get him neutered, the need to mark will diminish. If he he is already neutered, or still intact get him checked out by a vet. He may have a urinary tract infection (UTI). If he is all checked out and is fine...then stop giving him so much freedom in your home. Crate him. If you are not watching him, crate him or leash him to you. Wash all of the urine stains with an enzyme type of cleaner (Nature's Miracle is one).

Do you have any other dogs in the house? Sometimes if there are old urine stains, dogs try to mark on top of them.

Get the dog looked at by a vet. Get enrolled in obedience classes, there is a whole new way to train....without any compulsion...just treats and praise. Please do not rub your dogs nose in his own urine...or yell at him.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Re: 2 year old rescue dog peeing in house

Dogs tend to not generalize....so he may have been housetrained in the prior owners home but not in yours...I have one boy who has NEVER gone in my home, but if I take him to one of the "kid's" homes, he potties. This is a new rescue..he needs time to learn what is expected of him..what I do with new dogs is leash them to me....that way there is no opportunity to potty inside. When he can't be leashed to you, crate. You can hook the leash on a belt loop and keep both hands free. Do this until you've gone several days without an accident, then you can allow him loose in the same room with you...only gradually allow whole house privlidges as he proves trustworthy.
If he's not neutered, neuter...that will help. Make sure there is not a health issue like a urinary tract infection. Clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner...and PRAISE him when he gets it right. Don't just let him out, go out with him and offer him a jackpot of treats when he potties outside.
I know this is frustrating, but yelling at him won't help...remember the old saying" if the dog potties in the house, take a newspaper, roll it up, and hit yourself over the head". He'll learn...but it's up to you to work with him. Best of luck.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM

"german" or not, dont rub his nose in it when he pees. Your sending him mixed signals and confusing your dog. Now he's going to think that peeing in general is bad, and when you do let him go potty outside he's not going to do it, he will wait until your back is turned in the house and he will go and hide to do his business.

Brunie gave excellent advice in her post as what to do. I would suggest following it.

Also, only having him for that short amount of time i would not be so quick to get aggrivated with that dog. patience is a vertue with these guys. Just remain calm, taking the misshaps with a grain of salt and look into those big brown eyes, and know that could one day be your most loyalest of friends behind them.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Rubbing his nose in his pee is not only non productive it is cruel and teaches him that peeing makes you angry. Not only that, this dog will not trust you to treat him with kindness or fairness. If you don't cease this practise immediately you'll find that he will pee in areas such as behind furniture and drapes where you are unlikely to see it but you will eventually smell it.

With a new dog in the house you need to exercise patience. I'm guessing this your first dog? Right now you are setting the scene for your relationship with this boy. It is your responsibility to make the settling in period a positive experience for the dog so you develop a strong trusting bond with eachother. By rubbing his nose in his pee you are not being fair and have set things back somewhat. You now need to set it right.

You have only had this dog for a very short time. Take him outside frequently, stay with him so you can praise him with enthusiasm when he obliges. Say nothing if he pees inside the house, just clean it up without issue unless you actually catch him in the act of peeing. If you do see him about to pee in the house clap your hands, say AH AH and take him immediately outside. Letting him outside on his own doesn't teach him what you want him to do.

If he is peeing more frequently than you think is reasonable, as others have said, he could have a urinary tract infection and needs to see a vet. It's a good idea to take him to the vet for a general health check in any case.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Valued Member

He not housetrained. Perhaps these links about Housetraining from the Rottie rescue site for which I volunteer will help you.

Was Sava born in Germany? That's the only way he's German.

Here's the link to the AKC standard for the Rottweiler. Here's the link to the FCI standard.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 AM

ok, first off, no this is not my first dog, nor my first rott. he will pee at the door when i am about to let him out, he will pee as soon as he comes inside right after i stand there with him and he does his business #1 & #2. he wont pee when i have him confined to the living room with me nor when i am in the shower and he is right there. but if i am sitting on the toilet he will pee right in front of me.

he was just at the Vet to get him shots. previous owner only got him 1 booster and never rabies. he hadn't been bathed in at least 3 months prior to me getting him. he now loves to climb in the shower when i let him.

thank you for your suggestions and any more are certainly welcome.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: 2 year old rescue dog peeing in house

Sounds like he is marking. You did not answer my question before, is he neutered?
He needs to be watched like a hawk..so that he does not get a chance to pee. You can usually tell when they start sniffing or stop in one area that they are going to pee. Treat him as if he was a wee puppy, just learning to be housetrained.

Stop rubbing his nose in the pee. Unless your vet took a urine sample, you cannot tell if the dog has a low grade UTI...he needs a urine sample taken in to the vet...they can tell from that if there is an infection. This often makes them urinate in places that they should not, and frequently also.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

he is not neutered, one thing that makes me think UTI is sometimes he pees as he is walking both inside and out. he hasn't done this inside for awhile but he does it outside.
is that just marking?

thanks,

Albert and Sava

Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Valued Member

I agree, dogs do not tend to generalize as Fostermom mentioned. I experienced this first hand, my dogs went from completely housetrained to having accidents once we moved in a new home. Disregard what the owner says about this dog such as he never got into the trash or peed in the home. This may be true but it does not apply to your scenario. He must learn now that he must not get close to "your" trash and he must not pee in "your" home.

I also agree with Brunie's mom about ruling out medical conditions. How is the urine flow? Like if you take him out and after a few minutes he goes inside, is it just a few drops or a good amount? Is this dog drinking excessively? There are many medical conditions that cause increased drinking and increased urination. UTI' s usually cause small amounts of urine to be repetitively expelled.

Since he is a very new dog, you do not want to scare him or this may affect the growing bond. As Anne mentioned, use non confrontational measures such as distractions when you catch him in the act. Try to monitor him very carefully, the only way to stop this behavior is to catch him on the act. Fail to catch him in the act too many times and he may think it is ok or that he can do so when you are not around. Perhaps you can crate him at times when you cannot watch him (yes, even adult dogs can be crated). You want to make the opportunities for accidents rare, so the idea of peeing in the home does not set in his mind. If watched carefully, the episodes should gradually subside, with an accident only every now and then.

But first have a vet rule out anything odd. Collect a urine sample and have it tested and possibly have some bloodwork run. Best wishes!

Last edited by alessadry; 02-20-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Guy View Post
he is not neutered, one thing that makes me think UTI is sometimes he pees as he is walking both inside and out. he hasn't done this inside for awhile but he does it outside.
is that just marking?

thanks,

Albert and Sava
Marking is a very deliberate act. If he's just walking along dribbling urine, that's not marking.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: 2 year old rescue dog peeing in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Marking is a very deliberate act. If he's just walking along dribbling urine, that's not marking.
I've seen intact males....kind of walk and dribble urine when very excited about something.

To the OP, get the dog neutered, this is a rescue dog, he does not need to be kept intact. It will also help with marking, if that is what he is doing. Rule out a UTI first though.

Gina

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Novice Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermom View Post
Dogs tend to not generalize....so he may have been housetrained in the prior owners home but not in yours...I have one boy who has NEVER gone in my home, but if I take him to one of the "kid's" homes, he potties. This is a new rescue..he needs time to learn what is expected of him..what I do with new dogs is leash them to me....that way there is no opportunity to potty inside. When he can't be leashed to you, crate. You can hook the leash on a belt loop and keep both hands free. Do this until you've gone several days without an accident, then you can allow him loose in the same room with you...only gradually allow whole house privlidges as he proves trustworthy.
If he's not neutered, neuter...that will help. Make sure there is not a health issue like a urinary tract infection. Clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner...and PRAISE him when he gets it right. Don't just let him out, go out with him and offer him a jackpot of treats when he potties outside.
I know this is frustrating, but yelling at him won't help...remember the old saying" if the dog potties in the house, take a newspaper, roll it up, and hit yourself over the head". He'll learn...but it's up to you to work with him. Best of luck.
This is probably the best advice you'll get. Make sure to have him neutered ASAP. It takes a while for the hormones to get out of their system so the sooner the better. I'll discuss some of the things that have helped me in the past (and present).

I know how frustrating it is to deal with a dog that perpetually marks in the house (my gf's dog did the same at my house) but the more frustrated you get when he does it, the less likely he is to learn not to. Getting mad when he pees only teaches him no to pee with you around. I learned this lesson the hard way The problem with that is that not only will he learn to sneak away and pee where you can't see him. He'll also avoid peeing when you take him outside so you can't even reward him for doing it right. It ends up creating a vicious cycle where he doesn't know what you expect and you get more and more frustrated.

Since you're basically starting from ground-zero, create a schedule to let him out and take him to the same place every time to do his business. At the very least, you should always take him outside:

1) right after you wake up,
2) 10-15min after meals/drinking alot of water
3) immediately after exercising/playing
4) just before going to bed
5) any time you see him wander off or go sniffing around

You should definitely keep the dog on leash with you or crated 100% of the time for now. If the dog is on leash and by your side he will be far less likely to pee. If he does pee, you're right there to interrupt him and take him outside. Remember, you must calmly stop him if he has an accident inside and reward him with praise/treats every time he does it in the right spot. This goes for walks as well, if you allow him to stop and mark constantly while he's on walks it reinforces his instincts to pee whenever he wants and mark territory.

Good luck and remember consistency and repetition is key! Expect a few mistakes but if you're consistent he'll learn to be too.