Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Novice Member

My rottie is too friendly with strangers

I have a 1 year old rottie who is near perfect. He has a great personality and temperament. He is obedient. He is not too aggressive with other dogs. I have spent a lot of time training and socializing him because I have read that rotties can be very protective. Well, mine is not at all. In fact, yesterday a man I did not know walked on to our property (we live in a rural area). My rottie was outside and I was on the back deck. He barked once, then ran up to the guy with his tail wagging and started licking him! Have I made him too comfortable around people? I donít want him to be aggressive and attack strangers who come on our property. But I donít want him to welcome them either. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

Re: My rottie is too friendly with strangers

What do you expect? That's about exactly how I want my dogs to react to a non-threatening situation.

Remember your dog checked hundreds of things you missed, on his way to greet this person. His scents, his posture, what he was looking at, gestures ect...If the guy were up to no good, he probably would have acted different, and your dog might have reacted differently. IMO my suggestion would be to learn more about Rotties, your dog sounds wonderful.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Novice Member

Maybe I need to rephrase my question and give a little more background. We live on acreage in the mountains of Panama. My rottieís typical day involves swimming and hiking. He is not kept on his leash because he knows his borders. However, he is not allowed to roam around by himself, either my husband or I are outside when he is.

His bloodline is very good. His fatherís side is from Germany and his motherís side is from Austria. His parents and grandparents are schutzhund trained and all have won awards in world competitions. My husband and I are still in the process of training him because we understand that it needs to be lifelong, but we do not want a schutzhund dog. We want the loving, goofball that we have.

However, I do not want a strange person walking around our property approaching our house and have him run up to greet them. He had not been introduced to this person before and it is not the first time this has happened. When another dog approaches him, he does not act this way. If another dog is on our property, he lets them know that it is his. If we run into another dog when he is off our property, he is much more reserved and aware. He never attacks, but holds his ground. He is obviously very trusting of people, even when he has never met them. I am wondering if we are socializing him too much and would like suggestions for training him to be more protective of his family and house around people he has never met without training him to be an attack dog. What are the effective exercises?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM

The answer you got from MRRSTEELERS is the correct answer. He is only a year old and it is important for him to be confident and trusting at this age, as he gets a little older he may become more discriminating but if he were mine I would be very happy with his temperament. Believe me if someone comes on your property that does not mean well he will sense this and alert you.

A/C CH Darlburgs Fatal Attraction CD RE HSAs CX TT
GCH Darrlburgs Something Special V Ikier CD RE CX TT
CH Lucky CDX TT CGC 01/17/94 - 05/17/07
CH Moe CD RE TT CGC 11/18/99 - 02/18/08

Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Was the person who walked onto your property threatening? Did he in any way exhibit threatening behavior? Was he someone whom you should have been 'alerted' to? If the answer to any of those questions is 'no'... then your rottie behaved exactly as he is supposed to. These dogs are very smart... trust them, and their judgement. And when someone of questionable intent comes onto your property, have a gun within arms reach, and protect your family and your dog.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: My rottie is too friendly with strangers

He's a young dog, it takes maturity for them to become more wary of strange people and sounds. I agree with the others he sounds like he has a good temperament for his age. He should be happy to greet people at this stage.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14

Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Valued Member

He's doing exactly what he should be doing. The person posed no threat. He's young, and this would be what comes naturally from a young, well socalized dog. He's not fearful. He's developing confidence and assuredness. Give him time to grow into those wonderful genes he undoubtedly has with his lines.

My girl is 4, at age 1, similarly behaved. By age 2 she was a bit more selective in whom she chose to befriend automatically. By 3 she was more aloof and discriminating. I'm very pleased.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Hi There. Hondo is a year old as well. He is just what I would expect in a rottie at this age. Confident enough in himself, and the love of family and friends to be able to just be a one year old pup. He will THUNDER through the house if someone comes to the door, but he doesn"t bark. It will take time as he matures to learn to hone in on his awareness of reading people and situations that he should be leary of. That being said, when he is on our front deck, he will watch passerbys from one end of the deck, walking and watching them till he reaches the other end. Sometimes he'll bark, sometimes he"ll just watch. I love him, and wouldn"t want a dog who barks at everything. I love how he assesses the situations. Enjoy your pup, he will be a loyal, loving & trustworthy friend that will make you proud!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Novice Member

Thank you all for your replies. This is my first experience with a rottie puppy. I adopted a 4 year old rottie but that is obviously different than raising a puppy. My husband and I think Dude is the perfect dog (shocking coming from his parents). I just wanted to make sure that we are training him to be confident and aware. And yes, I am very happy he is not a barker. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM

I worked really hard to socialize my Luke. Of course he'd been abused and was a rescue. But I got Luke as my companion, my friend. He and I are a team. He has never given me a moment's worry about his behavior.

Even today, at eight years old, Luke would allow anyone onto the property. Coming near me, he'd be standing between us. I much prefer this to my friend's GSD who's bitten four children four separate times visiting in her home. She has to worry about anyone coming into her home and is very selective even about walking her dog. To me that's a horrible situation. I'm confident that Luke and I can go anywhere together and he'll behave appropriately.

Sounds to me like you've worked really hard to socialize your dog and that you've done a great job of it; he's right where he should be at one year old. Or . . . you may end up with a Luke, who's biggest deterrent is that he's a rottweiler and most people just don't want to mess with one based solely on reputation. Of course I don't see anything wrong with that.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Valued Member

I think he has a great personality, and this is how I want mine to grow. Should your dog have attacked or even bitten this man, he could have risked be put to sleep. I think Rotties are real sweet hearts if trained properly and this should help fight the negative stereotyping Rottweilerrs suffer.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:48 AM

I also agree with mrrsteelers. I have a 1 y/o intact male who loves dogs, people, cats, you name it. He doesnt bark at the door or at people walking by, nothing. Never think they don't know whats going on. Some people my guy approaches more cautiously, slowly, some he runs right up to and licks their hands. There have been 2 incidents with me and we were out at night, when he was very protective of sudden noises and once an approaching person. Now I'm far out into the country with just a few neighbors and I just walk around the house area at night. The other night the cable guy was here and he was in his crate. The guy approached his crate and stuck his fingers in before we noticed and next thing we know, my baby is growling. I didnt know he even could. I asked the guy to let him be. Explaining that he is in his "crate" which is his space and that a stranger invading that space probably wasnt too welcome. He understood perfectly after that, explaining he has a few pits and they're protective of their crates as well. My guy normally isnt but rarely do we have strangers in the house and rarely do they stick their fingers in it.

My favorite saying in the world is "Dogs know more about people than people know about dogs". Believe it.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 AM

Appreciate your dog being this way. When he feels that his owner is in danger, he'll do his job and whats in his blood.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin View Post
Thank you all for your replies. This is my first experience with a rottie puppy. I adopted a 4 year old rottie but that is obviously different than raising a puppy. My husband and I think Dude is the perfect dog (shocking coming from his parents). I just wanted to make sure that we are training him to be confident and aware. And yes, I am very happy he is not a barker. Thanks again for the feedback.
Having had several rotts over the years, I have noticed some are very adept at "reading" people,determining very quickly who is OK and who is not,and acting accordingly.they are also adept at picking up your reactions to certain people and events. I really don't see any problem in his reaction in the example you gave, he's young, seems to be confident and secure in his assesment of situations, as he approaches maturity , 18 months at least, you will probably see a notable temperment change as his guard instincts kicks in.
he sounds like a good stable dog thats been raised very well. there are ways to easily test his agression level to different people and situations but I hesitate to go into this unless you have and experianced trainer to talk you through these.