Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM

Placing paw on top of you arm while being petted, what is he communicating?

When petting his chest when he is sitting, he puts his paw on the forearm of the hand that is petting him. Is there dominance being communicated or is he just opening more area on his chest to be rubbed?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 AM

Re: Placing paw on top of you arm while being petted, what is he communicating?

My female always gives me her paw when I pet her, she did this since she was a puppy. Even when I rub her back she raises her paw and leaves it hanging in the air. I don't think this is dominant behavior.
On the other hand, when the dog is placing the paw on you while you are doing something else, this is a way of demanding attention.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM

both of mine do this when i pet there chest too

Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 AM

My girl Bessy places her paw on my leg or arm when I'm rubbing her tummy. It's not dominance, she's just touching me. She's a real sticky Rottie

Dominance would be me NOT rubbing her tummy, and she pawing me to rub it. (She has never done that, thank goodness)

Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 AM

Teazle does this all the time when I am tickling her chest. She just rests her paw on my forearm and looks a bit dozy.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Often I find Boo is just trying to support himself without rolling all the way on his back. He is also very sticky :)

Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM

when Reeses wants some attention she will come up to me and place her head in my lap and just look up at me with out moving her head she is such a goober! and Raven does the old walks by and plants the butt on the side of my leg and looks back as if to say ok im here rub my butt!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM

yep, Hilda does that too. paw in air, waving near muzzle if she can't find a resting place on knee or arm. usually accompanied by deep-soulful stares into my eyes. she is such a drama queen.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Buddy and so did Rommel put their paw on whatever spot they can on me. Arms, legs, feet- they don't discriminate. I love this as long as when I am petting them. Buddy will do this at times when I am doing something and ignoring him which to me is a dominant motion demanding attention. He gets a stern, enough!, and I don't pet him or give him attention until I am ready. He's starting to catch on.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 PM

ok, now i feel bad. i have been correcting Zoey for this behavior as i thought it was wrong!! Everytime i would go to scratch under her chin or rub her back, she does the paw on the arm or leg. OOPS

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

My big guy does this all the time too. Has since he was a baby. He makes the saddest eyes, lifts his paw and looks at me as if to say "Could you pet me please??"

Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM

When a dog puts a paw (chin) upon another dog(in this case you) it's definitly a sign of dominance and one of the most primary.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Obelix, I beg to differ although it may be a sign of dominance, it can also be a sign of wanting to be close. It all depends on how this behavior is performed. If Buddy is lying on his back next to me and puts his paws up to touch me, if he puts his paw on my leg while petting, leans into me, it's him wanting to be close. When I ignore he will use solicitous behavior and go down and his own, roll over, wag his tail etc. This is not dominance. He will show his submission when I tell him "enough" or "stop", "go to your place", "down" and he does it without a grumble, growl, stiffening or hesitation. If he were not to respond to my verbal commands, it's a dominant behavior and he's ordering me to give attention. (I don't pet him under these conditions, I must initiate the petting.) These are signs of being able to read your dogs actions and expressions.
King, my wonderful GS, waiting at the bridge, 14 yo

Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz205 View Post
Obelix, I beg to differ although it may be a sign of dominance, it can also be a sign of wanting to be close. It all depends on how this behavior is performed. If Buddy is lying on his back next to me and puts his paws up to touch me, if he puts his paw on my leg while petting, leans into me, it's him wanting to be close. When I ignore he will use solicitous behavior and go down and his own, roll over, wag his tail etc. This is not dominance. He will show his submission when I tell him "enough" or "stop", "go to your place", "down" and he does it without a grumble, growl, stiffening or hesitation. If he were not to respond to my verbal commands, it's a dominant behavior and he's ordering me to give attention. (I don't pet him under these conditions, I must initiate the petting.) These are signs of being able to read your dogs actions and expressions.
Good point. There's a difference between being smacked by your dog and being lovingly used as a ballast point. Troodie likes to roll around on the floor on her back and she sticks her legs out at anybody walking by- she loves to catch a passing leg with her paw and use it to shove off with in another direction. And she will lie there and play pat-a-cake, she's very tactile and I swear she wishes she had opposable digits.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=moz205;760645]
Quote:
he does it without a grumble, growl, stiffening or hesitation. If he were not to respond to my verbal commands, it's a dominant behavior
It does not have to be verbal.When a dog gets what he wants,cause he is playing it the smart way,he will considder himself dominant cause you did what he wanted you to do
Just as a sidenote:when sitting beside you(by heeling) and your dog leans against your leg or puts his paw over(crossing) your footh this is seen as dominance.
I have been working for 8 years with a grandson of Bulli Von Hungerbühl.So I was forced to learn what dominant behaviour ,is because I had to prevent a fantastic dog to grow over my head.