Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 06:57 PM

Unhappy my FEMALE puppy is humping!!help!

my 3 1/2 month old puppy Ruby started humping my dad, she has only done it once, we have never heard of a female behaving like this, espeically st such a young age. Could anyone possibly Try and explain why she might have done this..... is it normal?

Old 01-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Re: my FEMALE puppy is humping!!help!

It can be sexual or it can be a form of dominance.

In your case if seems that it is more on the dominance side, trying to find where she fix in.

How often is your dad around the pup?

Whatever the case it's a bad habit as well as bad manners that should be not allowed.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM
100 yr old Valued Member

It is a dominant action.

It is only sexual if a female is in season, and there's an intact male around.

This is rude behavior, and you should consistantly discourage your girl from it. If you can catch her while she's thinking about it, it's even better.

It's rude to people, and it's rude to dogs. There are other, more appropriate ways in which a dog can display high self esteem.

Pull her off, and redirect her behavior. Ask her to sit for a treat. Redirecting her rude behavior like this can turn the party fowl into a good experience, and not only has your pup learned a little self control, you are reinforcing good behaviors when you reward your pup for the sit, or down, come to you, or whatever.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:38 PM

How often is your dad around the pup?
------------well, everyday he lives with us. she is a very dominant puppy so i guess u are right..... her 1st training class is Thursday and i cant wait, she's wild!!:( lol

Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 PM

She is being a bad girl, but mine used to do it too. I found it so weird since she was female. kinda funny but you should get her to stop.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM

Daisy - my female beagle would do it to Cromwell's (nutered rottweiler) head and he would flip her over. It is dominance - not sexual. She would try it with Neemo (femal GSD) as welll who would also flip her over.
Daisy (13" Beagle) 1997- 2004
Winston (Rottie) 3/23/04 - 7/4/12
B'Nero aka Crackhead labradooldle 9/08

Old 01-09-2006, 10:35 PM

It has also been theorized that this behavior in females , is caused by masculinization while in the womb , that would be my guess , especially since we are talking about such a young dog . The age is young to be asserting such dominant behavior , but is the perfect age to correct the behavior .

Same is said about females hiking the leg to urinate .

Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 PM

My 7 yr old female dobe started doing this to everyone and everything when we took her into our home last year. It is a dominance thing in her case. (she also marks territory with urine like a male would!) She is and always has been a very dominant bitch. Add to the fact that her whole world was turned upside down with a move and new family. She needed to figure out where her place was, and she wanted it to be at the top as she was accustomed to having it. It took firmness, repetition and consistancy on my part to control and correct this unwanted behaviour. She no longer behaves in this manner as she knows I will not tolerate it. You can change your girls behaviour for the better if you are willing to put the time and work into it. You will be suprised how quickly you can get control of it too. But remember to give her lots of love and praise too. You don't want her to think she is just being ragged on all the time. Keep her confidence and esteem high. (Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks/manners??)

Old 01-10-2006, 07:53 AM
100 yr old Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necknot
It has also been theorized that this behavior in females , is caused by masculinization while in the womb , that would be my guess , especially since we are talking about such a young dog . The age is young to be asserting such dominant behavior , but is the perfect age to correct the behavior .

Interesting, can you provide a link to the study theorizing this?

Darn near every rottweiler bitch I've come across is a leg lifter.

I've seen female pups as young as 6 weeks, scratching dirt after eliminating, and male pups as young as 7 weeks lifting their legs.

Humping is simply a 'rude' behavior. There are other, much more acceptable ways for a dog to show dominance over another dog. Humping behavior should be stopped... whether it's dogs or people who are the recipients.

Walk softly, and carry a BIG pooper scooper.

Last edited by poohbearsmom; 01-10-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:15 PM

It was mentioned in the book "The Dog's Mind" , by Bruce Fogle . That is not the only place I have read that theory though , just the only one I could remember specifically.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Raelin tried that with me ONCE when she was younger, only ONCE!!! She was corrected very quickly, and got the message that I would not tolerate that kind of behaviour.

Don't get me wrong, her training is all positive re-inforcement, and I use a lot of treats and toys and such. But if she is out of line, she gets a verbal correction, and if she goes way out there, I have no trouble stopping the un-wanted behaviour right there and then.

Raelin "daddy's little girl" DOB Nov 15th, 2003

Koen found his way to us Dec 20th 2007.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necknot

Interesting, I've not heard of this before. A quick google search lead me to a few too many site I wish I hadn't opened. Anyway, here is one piece of info that I could dig up which seems credible:

American Scientist. Volume: 91 Number: 3 Page: 218

"Sex hormones expressed during embryonic development establish the reproductive anatomy and behavior of mammals. In species that give birth to large litters, embryos line up in the uterus like peas in a pod, so that females that develop next to male siblings are exposed to more testosterone than their sisters. They are less successful at mating, but are more aggressive and have larger home territories. "

Here is the medical definition:

masculinization: Development of male sex characteristics in a female.

Another interesting tidbit:

Nature Neuroscience 7, 1034 - 1039 (2004)
Published online: 27 September 2004
;

Sexual differentiation of the vertebrate nervous system
John A Morris, Cynthia L Jordan & S Marc Breedlove
Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA.

Correspondence should be addressed to S Marc Breedlove breedsm@msu.edu

"Of the two gonadal hormones that masculinize the body, it is testosterone that also masculinizes the brain. Scientists first demonstrated this by exposing female guinea pigs to testosterone in utero, which permanently interfered with the animals' tendency to show female reproductive behaviors in adulthood."

Full article here.

Makes you wonder if bitches from mostly male litters then have higher rates of "strong temperament," aggression or infertility??

Old 01-10-2006, 05:18 PM

Makes you wonder if bitches from mostly male litters then have higher rates of "strong temperament," aggression or infertility??
----------------------------------------

Actually Ruby came from a litter of all females!! there was 3 puppies born, all female but 1died. So it was just the 2 litter-mates

Old 01-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Wow....is that ever interesting. The dobe bitch I mentioned earlier as being very dominant is also quite large for a bitch (and mistaken for a male often), urinates to mark territory, AND apparently in her short breeding career was only able to have 2 litters....after that she could not get pregnant......HMMMMMMMMMM....coincidence??? What do u think?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 PM

I have also read that estrogen therapy can be used to help calm overly agressive/dominant males as well . Since it seems that alot of you are breeders moreso than casual owners , I would have to wonder if this would have an adverse effect on future generations .

Myself am a casual owner (if there can be such a thing) who ended up with Rotts. I do read everthing I can get my hands on and have put alot of what I read into practice . It seems as if there are conflicting views to every issue . That has led me to believe that there is no right way , just what works for you . I caught grief already for my position on not using food reinforcment in training , but hey , it works splendidly for me and a friend I helped .