Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2004, 11:06 PM

Unhappy Will spaying change my dog's behavior?

i am going to take my female roxy to get fix. she just hit her first heat. i talk to some people that started to worry me. i was told that it will change there temperment. she is a sweet dog so i want to keep her like this. is this true. will she become mean or aggressive? i have no intention on breeding her. some say its better some to have her fix. some say to let her have a litter before having it done. i do not want to do that. at all. i just want to know what is best for her. im doing this in the morning so please any input will be great. thanks mexi.

Last edited by mexi; 12-21-2004 at 11:22 PM.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Valued Member

Re: Will spaying change my dog's behavior?

She is a sweet and well-loved girl and there is no reason to expect that to change.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 PM

You are doing the right thing by having her spayed. She will be fine and you will be assured of no accidental breedings.

Temperament wise, she is what she is. If you keep up with training and are consistent with her in everything, you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:10 AM

Shouldn't change her temperament or disposition. You are doing what is best for her, especially for her health. Once she's spayed, she'll never be at risk for pyometra (something that kills intact bitches with almost no warning), and her risk of mammary gland cancer will be significantly lowered.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:14 AM

thanks for the quick responses. look like we are headed to the vet. i really dont like that i have to leave her over night. . this is stressfull. i got up this morning and there was 2 mutts and a border collie in my front yard.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:46 AM
Valued Member

Unless the vet has 24 hour staff so she is going to be monitored, then tell them you want to bring her home so you can keep an eye on her. That is the only reason for her to be kept. It does little good for her to remain there if there will not be someone to watch her. It is it a larger clinic?

Old 12-22-2004, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi W
Unless the vet has 24 hour staff so she is going to be monitored, then tell them you want to bring her home so you can keep an eye on her. That is the only reason for her to be kept. It does little good for her to remain there if there will not be someone to watch her. It is it a larger clinic?

I agree with Judi, at the time we had our girl spayed we got told (after we left the vet's office, which is a fair distance from home) that they did not monitor her 24 hours. I asked if I could come back out and get her then because there was no one there anyways and they told me no.....anyways that is the past, even though it still bothers me.
I think it is great that you are getting your girl spayed I know it was the best thing we did.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi W
As already noted your girls temperament will not change. But also I agree with this quote 100%. I was shocked how many vets want the dog to stay there yet have no staff all night....... They say the reason is to keep them quiet 24 hours. Well that can be done at home.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 AM

our vet does everything by lazer now and the recoverytime is amazing something to consider if you already dont have a vet... and as judi says if your pet is sweet now it wont change her a bit...the only thing i know of in females is if they are agressive and ill in temparmant it could make them more so.... and the letting them have a litter before spaying is just an old wives tale. so if you have no desire to breed then the sooner the better.....

Last edited by lblax; 12-22-2004 at 06:58 AM.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblax
the only thing i know of in females is if they are agressive and ill in temparmant it could make them more so.... .
I think where one of the myths got placed that the dog becomes more aggressive is many will spay around this age before the dog matures. So the dog starts to mature shortly after the surgery and some of the true temperament of the adult dog starts to show. It has nothing to do with the operation and everything to do with lack of training and temperament. In these cases they would have got that way even without being fixed but much easier to blame it on being fixed then ones laziness in lack of training.

I have had many intact and many fixed dogs and I never ever noticed one bit of change in any of them in personality after getting fixed.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsway
I think where one of the myths got placed that the dog becomes more aggressive is many will spay around this age before the dog matures. So the dog starts to mature shortly after the surgery and some of the true temperament of the adult dog starts to show..
actually your wrong in an already agressive female it does make them more agressive regardless of the age spayed.
Quote:
5. Bitches who are aggressive before being spayed may become more aggressive after being spayed.
Quote:
This appears to be a valid concern for owners of aggressive bitches (O'Farrell 1990). However, it's an easy problem to avoid. If you have an intact bitch who is already aggressive, think seriously about letting her remain intact. If your intact bitch is NOT aggressive, spaying her is not likely to MAKE her aggressive.
note this holds true for dogs that are already aggressive

Old 12-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
actually your wrong in an already agressive female it does make them more agressive regardless of the age spayed.
never said it didn't.......

I wasn't disagreeing with your statement Larry. I was adding to it. That sometimes when a dog matures they become more dominant and maybe some aggression will come forward that the novice owner wasn't aware of as a puppy. Then they get the dog fixed and coincidently they do it around maturing age. Another-wards the dog would have become aggressive or harder to handle regardless the surgery but human nature loves to blame anything they can but themselves.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:50 PM

I had my female spayed in October because of her ill temperament. I was worried that because she was already an aggressive dog doing so might enhance the behavior but the operation has only benefited her. She no longer has her sudden mood swing right before her heat cycle and she has been a sweet angel since the surgery. Overall spaying was a complete success for us and I am very glad we had it done.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:29 PM

wow thanks for all the advice. roxy is recovering now. they said it went well and i can get her in the morning.she is at an animal hospital they are a 24-7 clinic. i miss her. i cant wait. i figured most of the stuff people were telling my were wives tales. people just say things sometimes to hear them self talk i will let everyone know if i see any temperment changes. i hope its none. im pretty consistent with her.
thanks everyone , robert

p.s. when do rotties stop growing . roxy is 85lbs now and the vet said she not going to ge any bigger. the reason i ask is that the mom and dad rotts were over 130lbs. she is 10 months.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:19 PM

Depending how tall the mother and father are determines in large part what their weight is going to be.

Your female sounds like she's at a good weight. The mother and father on the other hand (at that weight and especially the dam) would either have to be A: grossly overweight or B: too tall for the standard.