Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 09:00 PM

Leaving dog for 2 weeks - tips on leaving and returning?

I'm going on vacation (cruise) and will be leaving Athena for 17 days.
She will be staying with the man who gave us private lessons this past summer, and will have a ball with all of his dobermans. He will not be training her -- just letting her stay with him and play with this dogs.
Quite frankly, I think I'm going to be more traumatized by this separation than she is.

But, are there any behavioral quirks that I should watch out for? Before I go and after?

I've read about dogs that misbehave and test their limits when reunited with their owners.
Anyway to prevent this?

Anything I can do to ease the separation?

Old 12-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Valued Member

Re: Leaving dog for 2 weeks - tips on leaving and returning?

I'm not being flip. Say good by when you leave, and hello when you return and treat everything business as usual, the same as if you'd been gone for the afternoon.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 PM

Cool Re: Leaving dog for 2 weeks - tips on leaving and returning?

The less fuss you make when you leave or return the better...your dog will adjust quickly and it's a good idea to get them used to staying with other people...it really frees you to go away occasionally and "have a life!"Have a great cruise!

Old 12-13-2004, 10:17 PM

Okay, great common sense advice. Thanks, y'all! I know you're right, but when I look at the picture of her and Santa on my desk, or look over at her resting her chin on her butt while she watches me type... the thought of leaving her makes me stress and worry about crazy things!

Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 PM

I've done housesitting for quite a lot of dogs and see them from "the other side"....Generally, they are a little confused for the first night and then spend the rest of the time trying to trick me into giving them snacks or letting them on furniture....little tests...they don't pine by the door.If your dog knows this man already and has other dogs to horse around with she'll be FINE!!! just relax and have a good time....she probably couldn't be in better hands. (apart from yours, of course...)

Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Valued Member

So let's be honest. It is not the dog that is the worry - it is you. The biggest mistake is people who act like life has ended and then try to make up for it when they come back. They are the ones who have trouble with the dog after being gone. Think about it as educational for both of you.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:31 AM

Yup...as with most things, this is pretty much an owner-induced problem.

But I'm working on being better, and I think when I get her back, we'll have to go to extra training classes to make up for any of my slipups.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Since I am the one with our dog 24 hours a day, we have a daily routine that we follow. I do all feeding, training, exercising, playing...EVERYTHING!

This summer, after our dog's long convalescence, I took a much needed vacation to visit my mother who lives 10 hours away. I was a little worried how the dog would fare. We hadn't been apart since the day I brought him home.

When I was sure my husband knew the drill (particularly no jumping since the hip was newly healed), I drove away with a bit of anxiety. I was very sad and found myslef missing the dog on the quiet ride up north. By about the 7th hour, I was fine and anticipating a great time with my mom.

I called home that first night to check in and to see how the dog was doing. The dog, my husband said, is laying by the front door waiting and watching for you to walk back in. In all other areas he was fine....eating, swimming, pooping. He would just take up his position by the front door and wait.

On my scheduled night home, I pulled in the driveway to find husband and dog waiting for me on the front porch. I don't think I've ever seen two happier beings! The dog was just beside himself! And although he did just fine it was his routine that had been changed and he knew it. My husband's comment was, "I am so glad you're home...it's been a lot of work taking care of this dog!"

So as the others have said....the dog will be just fine! When you arrive home I wouldn't treat her any differently. Business as usual. Mine wanted to play a little more than usual but I didn't let him get away with being pushy.

I think it is more about us than about the dog. After all, you don't want to baby a dog so much that it becomes neurotic. You'll have fun and so will she!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM

I went to Europe for two weeks last year and left Heidi and Jasper in great hands, but could not help but worry. And I worried a lot. When I got back, the dogs were in great shape, and the sitter had tons of pictures of all the fun they had, blah, blah. Nevertheless, I am leaving for New York City on the 26th for a week, and I am worried all over again. It's really very silly.

Heidi, 2 year old rescue rottie
Jazzy, 2 year old German/Aust Shepard foster girlie
Jasper, funny face mutt, silently went to the bridge 5/30/04.... :(

Old 12-14-2004, 09:07 PM

I was gone for 5 weeks this summer. My husband was home for 3 of those weeks and she stayed with the lady we bought her from for 2. I had a great time and the dog had a great time. My husband was the only one that had an adjustment period.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Mine stay with one of their uncle's and they love it cause he spoils them even more than hubby and myself. We just went to the Bahamas and when i told them that they were staying with their uncle Anthony they knew and they were all happy. but, again he spoils them even more than we do. He is constantly taking them out for walks...gives them all kinds of stuff..more cookies etc. so, i have no problem in that dept. i do make a big fuzz when i leave and come back and I always bring them back something even if i have to buy a toy here and take it with me. they think they are getting something from where i've been.