Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2004, 01:15 PM

I hit my dog...

I am writing this in sincere depression and anger over what I have done. I am ashamed and embarrased with myself and despartly looked for someone to help me.
Yesturday I totally lost my patience with her and hit her. Then I chased her into the front hall and yelled at her to stay. I then went to the kitchen and I was shaking I was so upset. I went to my room to calm down and started crying. I can't believe I did that. She lay beside me all night and I felt horrible. I do not know what to do.
I feel horrible.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM

Re: I hit my dog...

What made you lose your patience?

Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Valued Member

You are not going to get off the hook for hitting her, but why don't you tell us what she did that made you so angry. Then we can work on correcting the behavior so that it doesn't happen again.

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 01-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Valued Member

How old is the dog? - what DID she do? - More info so we can help please

Old 01-13-2004, 01:43 PM

I commend you for facing and admitting what you did but please don't do it again. This board is a wealth of information and an invaluable resource to the Rottweiler community. Has this happened before?

Proud Mom of:
Kizer - 10 year old Rottie boy

Old 01-13-2004, 01:48 PM

I'm glad your looking for help, but we can only help if we know what the root of the problem is.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Mom to Diesel (my rottweiler) [/font]

Old 01-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Tell us what the prob is. Anyway, calm down it's no big deal. Probably 99% of the folks on here have given their dogs a crack or an attention getter at one time or another with no harm done. The other .5% are pacifists like Gandhi and don't spank theri children either :D :D :D And the remianing .5% are too scared of their dogs to do anything about bad behavior.

Here's my position, like it or not. If the dog needs an attention getter, he's gonna get it, period. No qualms about that. I don't like doing it, but certainly no reason to get all upset if the dog deserved it. Now, if you just smack the dog just to smack it, or take out life's frustrations on the dog, then yo got a serious problem.

Old 01-13-2004, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckdogs
Tell us what the prob is. Anyway, calm down it's no big deal. Probably 99% of the folks on here have given their dogs a crack or an attention getter at one time or another with no harm done. The other .5% are pacifists like Gandhi and don't spank theri children either :D :D :D And the remianing .5% are too scared of their dogs to do anything about bad behavior.

Here's my position, like it or not. If the dog needs an attention getter, he's gonna get it, period. No qualms about that. I don't like doing it, but certainly no reason to get all upset if the dog deserved it. Now, if you just smack the dog just to smack it, or take out life's frustrations on the dog, then yo got a serious problem.
Well said, Skip! Well said!

Old 01-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Skip?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

Old 01-13-2004, 03:16 PM

I have popped Cane on his rear end and on the nose before and honestly, it works for him. Did you PUNCH her or did you just slap her?

Old 01-13-2004, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckdogs
Skip?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
Aahahahahahahaha...okay, so I had a brain fart. Its happens when you get old. :D ;)

I agree with you Muckdogs, 100%. There all better? :D

Old 01-13-2004, 04:06 PM

rott, there are far worse things than losing your patience, hitting your dog, and yelling at her. "Far worse" is doing it a second time.
I think from what you've read here in reply, we all agree that you do not need to draw and quarter yourself (that would be a challenge!). Even if in retrospect the initiating event was ridiculously harmless, or maybe it was something pretty bad, that doesn't matter. HOWEVER, please let us know what occurred so that the experienced people on here can give you the help that you asked for. One concern that I have about what you've said so far is that you may go overboard in seeking your dog's forgiveness (not recognizing that you already have it) and letting her get away with things until the point that you are once again at the end of your rope and lose your patience.
Please talk about it here, even if it makes you feel really stupid. Once it's out in the open, you'll feel better. Then you'll be able to listen and learn from the excellent advice of others here.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthac
Aahahahahahahaha...okay, so I had a brain fart. Its happens when you get old. :D ;)

I agree with you Muckdogs, 100%. There all better? :D
..and SKIP agrees too..

Old 01-13-2004, 04:45 PM

First of all I was having a bad day. To which I should have recognized. After being outside she came flying into the house and ran after our other older dog. This is a rare thing for her to do as she always stops and sits and gets her paws wiped. She also has been told "don't touch" the other dog. She knows the command "dont touch". So really this behaviour isn't that bad. The part I am upset over is I was having a BAD day and I took a small situation and took it out on my dog. She is only 1.5 yr. old and her mommy hit her. I didn't smack her like a small smack to get her attention. I SMACKED her hard. The look on her face and the cowar of her body language made me shake. She has done this before and the natural thing of me to do is pull her back to mat, wipe her paws and make her sit there for 2 minutes or so. But instead I used physical force on her.

Old 01-13-2004, 04:59 PM

EVERYONE here has had bad days and done things they regret, rather it's with their dogs or their kids. H*** I've given my daughter spankings on bad day for things that on a good day would have rolled off me like water. It happened, you can't change it and she's already forgotten it. Now the important thing is not to try and spoil her because that will just result in unwanted behavior. Don't beat yourself up it's over so just continue as if nothing happened, I guarantee she will.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of freedom.
John F Kennedy, 1961

Life is not measured by the
number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath
away.