Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2003, 04:27 PM

Can a marking dog stop marking?

A friend of mine is going to take in a male Rott that has been marking all his life and is about 4 years old.

Is it going to be pretty much impossible to teach this do not to mark. Especially when the scent of her old male is all over the house?

This is an intact Sch III male she is taking in.

She does have an outside dog run, so it may have to be an "outside" dog

Old 11-14-2003, 04:34 PM

Well I took in an untrained, intact backyard dog (Dutch was about 3 1/2 years old at the time) in July '02. He sure learned NOT to mark in the house real fast!
And I have another male in the house too.

Inside the garage is another story, I hardly ever catch them at it; I think they consider that part of outside. Plus they sometimes pee in their (outside) food dishes just to make the point. :p

But NOT IN THE HOUSE!!!!
Just tell your friend to be very vigilant and watch for signs that the dog is about to hike a leg. Then she can scare the bejeesus out of him at the critical moment.

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:41 PM

My Beagle was a 7-8 year old intact former hunting dog when I got him, never been in a house nevermind housetrained. Add to that the fact that Beagles can be notoriously difficult to housetrain even as puppies. Like Carina said, you just have to be vigilant. He will still always need to be crated when we're gone, but he hasn't marked while we're home in nearly a year now. However, he still will try to mark at other people's houses, so he wears a belly band.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Oliver came to my house newly neutered. He marked everything the first day. Nothing the second. That was one lesson he learned real quick. (That and he hated the squirt bottle.)

Chase - Forever in my heart
Sky Valley's Mythic Dreamer aka Stark

Old 11-14-2003, 06:11 PM

LavenderRott, I never though of that, kind of funny though. He "squirts" on the couch and the couch squirts him back!
HaHaHa.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:19 PM

Ben was neutered a few days before we adopted him. he marked my mom in laws $300 Longaberger storage basket...ONCE...I followed him around with a squirt bottle for a few days and every time he made an attempt to pee on anything other than an outdoor tree, he got a squirt from the bottle. He hasn't even looked at that basket since then!

Old 11-14-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Miabella
belly band.
Can you tell me what a belly band is?

Old 11-14-2003, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumacat
Can you tell me what a belly band is?
http://mall.cairnrescue.com/inv_bellyband.htm

This website kind of describes how it's used. I did a search on google & this is what I found.

Brooke

Old 11-14-2003, 10:05 PM

I agree with everyone....be consitant with him and when you catch him in the act make sure he knows that he has done wrong. Rotties are smart dogs, he should catch on fast. The one time that Kodi lifted his leg in the house was the first time I took him with me to my parents house. Well.....he got it half right ...he lifted his leg on the Christmas tree! He probably thought....HEY! It's a tree...gezzz! Needless to say, Kodi has NEVER urinated in the house again, Christmas tree or not....

Sara:)

Old 11-15-2003, 09:19 AM

neuter him

The urge to mark usually goes away when a dog is neutered.
Please have your friend neuter this dog.....it will help him to be able to stay in the house instead of an outdoor run:(

They will have to watch the dog in the house with an eagle eye, but about 10 days after the neuter, once those hormones are gone....the urge of marking seems to go away.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN
Duncan (Rescue)~A work in progress
At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China

Old 11-17-2003, 03:08 PM

Not that I want to jump on Brunie's mom. But I was told by my vet that dogs neutered over 1 year of age that have been marking all thier life will continue to mark. My dog harley was neutered at 1.5 years and he tried to mark our house the first day we got him. He now no longer does this but he will still mark in the in-laws or any strange house we might take him into unless we keep a close eye on h im the first few minutes and scare him when he starts to mark the first time. Then he will pretty much settle down and not mark again the entire time we are in the house. Harley even went so far as to lift his leg on the next door neighbor. I hollared and chased him half way down the yard (i think i scared him enough that he hasnt tried to mark another human again). Just my experiance. not sure I gave you any solutions on how to fix it but..hey i am not an expert on doggie behavior. I just share what has worked for me.

Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM

I agree with HarleyOwner, neutering won't stop the marking. Marking isn't just hormone driven, it is also instinct and behavior driven. Neutering without training will just leave you with a neutered dog that WILL mark. Neutering may lessen the urge, but marking every once in awhile instead of every so often is still marking.
You have to catch the dog in the act or almost in the act and impress upon them the first time that marking in the house is wrong. You will have to go back to potty training 101 to accomplish this.
Sam CD RE
CH Louie CD RA
RB
CH Fizbin, TDX CD PT CS HRDIs HTDIs HTAD2s HTADIg BH TT
V2 Cipher, CDX RE PT OA OAJ JHD

Old 11-17-2003, 05:14 PM

Ditto what HarleyO said. And some early neutered dogs marke plenty too (as do some spayed bitches; they can be as bad as males.)

I had a young Malamute lift his leg and pee on my foot once. The owner was terribly embarassed but I think I was laughing too hard to notice. :D I wouldn't have been laughing if it was MY dog though!

Royce von der Alten Welt 6.7.2010

Cooper, CGC, CD, TDI, TT, UACH
Daphne the Destructo-Rott
Dutch-man
Bosco the clown
Ajax, my very first Rottweiler in 1985.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:13 PM

Kodi was neutered at 6 months old and he still marks to this day....he is almost 3 years old. Even though I don't allow it everytime, Kodi wants to mark everything when we go for walks.

Brunie's Mom is right in that your friend should have this dog neutered.....:D ;)

Sara

Old 11-21-2003, 05:23 PM

I too have been told that neutering will not stop the marking. But the friend should have him neutered anyway. I was told by my vet that male Rotts that are not fixed are prone to bladder infections (mine had that) and that their prostates get in larged which is dangerous.

My male (Harley) marked in the house when we first got him. But only certain spots. Only under MY chair at the dining room table and only where I sat on the corner of our new couch. I had to watch him all the time. Most of it happened just after their breakfast, before going outside. Partly my fault I guess. I have had him for 15 months now and he hasn't marked in the last 8 or so at all. And even before, it was only once in awhile. The spray bottle seems like a good idea, I used them on cats before.

Now the poodle, that's another story, they are VERY spiteful.

Corinne

Harley - 5 year old rott rescue
Mercedes - 7 year old rott
Sassy - 8 year old poodle/terrier rescue