Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 05:53 PM
Novice Member

stubborn 1yr old

My 1 yr old male Rottweiler is so stubborn sometimes that I dont know what to do anymore. I work with him all the time and he knows what he is doing and just decides to not listen sometimes. He will not give up when he is told no, and he will just keep trying to get his way. He is not neutered and I am not sure if I want to neuter him yet. Also, I did to a past dog of mine and it did not cure anything like everyone says, well I just mean that everyone says how neutering will solve or help all of your problems. I believe it would help a little bit but I dont think that is the answer. I never let him win, or give in to him, and when he realizes this each time he will back talk or whine. I am just wondering if this is a stage he is going through. If anyone else has had this problem I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know about it!! Thanks so much, Amy

Old 10-24-2002, 06:08 PM
Valued Member

How much formal training are you doing and for how long have you been doing it?

Old 10-24-2002, 10:34 PM

I don't think anyone has said that neutering will solve problems. Some problems will be lessened if you are obedience training as well as the neutering. Neutering in itself will not change behaviour. Are you doing formal obedience classes. If not it's time to start now.

Old 10-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Novice Member

obedience training

Hi, thanks for responding!! Zeus is not in any formal obedience, such as a school. We have been working with him well and he knows his stuff, its just that he doesnt want to listen sometimes and he knows what he is doing. We would like to put him into a school very soon and we checked out one that we are very interested in. My thoughts are that he will listen at the school because we are using treats but he will still be stubborn at home when not using treats. Maybe Im wrong, and I hope I am because I am tired of his stubborness! haha Its just that when Im using treats at home, he is very obedient and listens to everything the very first time I say it without hesitation. If you think that the school would help solve this problem, please let me know!! Thanks again, Amy

Old 10-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Valued Member

The reason most of us attend school (even old timers like myself) is that it is always helpful to have a coach and the dog learns to listen under conditions other than the back yard. There is a time and place for using treats in training and a time and place for moving on to the "this is not optional" phase of training. An instructor guides you as to when that is appropriate. It is especially important for a novice person to attend classes. Your belief that the dog learns to only obey when you have a treat in your hand indicates that you don't understand how to vary the reward after the exercise is taught and how to add compulsion when it is appropriate. Only the most optimistic pet trainers use that as their whole bag of tricks for training. If that is your impression of formal instruction, or if that is what the class you inquired about I can understand your possible reservations. Go and watch the classes without your dog if you need to, but get busy with some proper training. "very soon" will not be too soon with an 11 month old adolescent. (as you are discovering):D

Old 10-26-2002, 08:12 PM

Sexual maturing

This is the "famous stage" of the rottweiler (and almost any dogs). Around one years old they get into their sexual matureness.

This is the "final battle". If you don't solve this your dog will probably see himself as the leader of the pack...

This is why so MANY rottweiler owners don't want/can keep their male rottweilers. Many of them get replaced or put to sleep.

It is NOT good to handle this by yourself if you don't know much about it.

Please turn to a professional handler to get some help with his behaviour.

...and MOST OF THE TIME it is we, the owners that have to rethink and act different. Often the problem lyes within US humans - for not understanding HOW to deal with this issue.

A rottweiler is not fully mature/grown up until approx. three years old. But around one year of age the hormones rush in their bodies and they can not "help themselves" for what their doing.

Good Luck!

In English: Abbes Etherhome

Old 10-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Novice Member

"Your belief that the dog learns to only obey when you have a treat in your hand indicates that you don't understand how to vary the reward after the exercise is taught and how to add compulsion when it is appropriate."

It is not my belief the dog only obeys when I have a treat in my hand. I had merely stated this is when he listens most. When I do not have the treats he still listens but at times will be very stubborn with his response to commands. I have tried varying the reward with praise, his favorite toys, as well as using an enthusiastic tone with him.

Old 10-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Novice Member

Ethár:

"This is the "final battle". If you don't solve this your dog will probably see himself as the leader of the pack..."

Zeus knows he will never be leader of the pack. We simply will not allow him to get away with being stubborn. We are more stubborn than him!! We pretty much figure that it's just the stage in his life and he happens to be more stubborn than any other time we've experienced. We will continue to drill him and keep him in boot camp for the rest of his life.
:)

"This is why so MANY rottweiler owners don't want/can keep their male rottweilers. Many of them get replaced or put to sleep."

That's a shame. Replacing or putting our little Zeus to sleep is out of the question and not an option. Any pet owner that gives up shouldn't have any pets in my opinion.

Thank you all for your input. It's nice to get varying opinions. We will continue with Zeus but maybe with more variation of environment and intensity.