Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Novice Member

Thumbs down Off leash dogs in neighborhood

I live in a county with a leash law. There are a few neighbors in my apartment complex that do not abide by this law. They let their small, yappy dogs out unleashed and naturally when they charge at my Rottie she gets defensive. She has a strong prey drive and will go into "ready to attack mode" if she sees another dog. However, she is always leashed, and I try to stop the "attack mode" before it starts if I see a dog first by making her sit and pay attention to me. It works some of the time but definitely not if a dog is charging at her barking. I have had to raise my voice at other dog owners telling them to call off their dogs before they get hurt. I can't control other people's dogs and if they run up to her she is going to injure them or worse. She has been through and passed intermediate obedience including off leash work in a group. She did have two scuffles when other dogs asserted dominance by eye contact or steps towards her while off leash. She is very dominant and not going to back down, but at the same time if another dog is calm, so is she. Unfortunately, everywhere we go it seems, other dogs, even on leash, will bark at her at first glance.
I've spoken to someone from Animal Control once at a community event and was told that the party at fault would be the other dog's owner if his/her dog was off leash, but that doesn't make me feel much better if a dog gets injured or killed because of an owner's ignorance. The dogs in question are very small, Chihuahua and Shih Tzu types.
Has this happened to anyone else and how do you handle the situation?
Members of Rottweiler Discussion Forums have rated post 1078633 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM

Re: Off leash dogs in neighborhood

Oh, this is such a frustrating situation! I have had similar instances of people letting their dogs, either off leash or on long flexi leashes, run up on my dog that isn't necessarily dog friendly. You are right to be concerned, because not only is a dog in danger of being hurt, but we all know it will be the "vicious rottweiler's" fault if something happens :(

You are right in that if your dog is leashed and theirs isn't, the law should be on your side. That being said I would be wary of backlash because of people judging the breed, even if you aren't legally in the wrong - like if your apartment complex starts considering breed bans because neighbors complain.

I would do a few things at this point. First, I would talk to the neighbors with the problem dogs. Not sure how far you'll get there, but it's a start. I would also make the property manager aware of the issue. I am sure that it is part of the lease agreement that pets be under the control of owners at all times. Let them know that you do not feel safe with dogs running loose. Finally, if it continues, you can file a warrant yourself against the offenders for "animal at large." Taking someone to court is never pleasant, but neither is having to worry every time you take your leashed dog out for a walk.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Valued Member

I come across this often, as I use the ON LEASH parks to train at frequently. I always scan the horizon while working my dog, on the look out for the inevitable loose dog with either no training or an owner who just doesn't care.

I have zero problem with unleashed dogs if the owner has control over them, and there are some considerate people out there who, when they see another dog, will leash their own. And then there are the idiots among us.

If I see a dog charging, or threatening to charge at my dog, I put my dog behind me, and I keep her there, so I am in between the offending dog and my dog. This tells my dog that *I* will handle this......and I will, even if it means booting a fluff muffin into the next county.

Chili von der Frolikind UDX4 OM5 RE NJP CGC
SilverHeart's StoryBook "Pippi" CGC
BamBoo! of Rascaltown BOH^
^Sweet Angel Luna^ 1995-2004

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Valued Member

Are the owners outside with the dogs off leash? I would definately approach them (without your dog)and tell them you are concerned for their dogs safety. However - the down side to that is that it sounds to them that even when your dog is on leash you can't control "her".

Ultimately if your dog does attack and hurt or worse the little dog- even being the unleashed dog's fault - the Rottweiler will be blamed and you will probably be asked to move. Apartments that allow big dogs are few and far between so I would go straight to the management company and tell them what is going on - if that does not result in an immediate correction to the situation - I would call animal control.

I have the exact opposite problem here - little Baxter is always on a leash and the neighbor across the street opens her door and allows her lab/pitt mix to run loose. Luckily - it is a nice older dog but annoys me to have to clean up big poop that definately didn't come from Baxter.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Agree with everyone above. I ran into this situation so many times that I don't even walk Adam without my husband coming along. He pretty much takes him for his long jog every night. Adam, always on leash, has been attacked 8 times by small dogs who were either loose or on flexi-leads and one really large dog who was loose with no owner in site. Both of us can keep his focus when other dogs are around but when the other dog physically attacks him, I am not going to take the chance of getting bit by either dog so will not stand between them. Fortunately, in every altercation, Adam has flipped the other dog over and held them by the neck without puncturing or injuring them (other than their pride). All dogs were released by him and allowed to run away. I know that he is more protective on leash but off leash will not be an option for us in public, unless we are in a trial.
Definitely, notify management and if possible take a video of the dogs off leash, showing their aggression. In the meantime, are there any other places to walk your dog besides where this guy is?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Novice Member

Thanks for the replies. This is a condo community and there is no on site management. I don't know the people or which condo they live in and it is often a teenager or even a dog possibly being let out alone. I end up yelling from a distantance as the dog runs out of "nowhere".
This happens when I am any where near my apartment and I can't avoid the area since it's near my home. I will mention it to the condo management but I doubt I'll get a reaction. I've been without any lighting behind my building for 5 months and they keep saying we're working on it.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM

There was a post, recently, concerning this topic. I can't remember who posted about carrying an umbrella and quickly opening it at the offending dog when it comes running up; hopefully, scaring the dog away. I carry a retractable steel baton and will use it if necessary.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 AM

In that case, I would put a complaint in writing and send it certified mail to the Condo association or management. This way, if something happens with the small dogs, you have already made a formal complaint.
I like Bellabear's idea of carrying an umbrella or even some sort of cane or walking stick. Don't get in the middle, you may likely get bitten even by your own dog....once in a fight they are incoherent.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieJen View Post
Thanks for the replies. This is a condo community and there is no on site management. .
This is actually even better - you must have a Homeowners Association - they are more rabid about neighborhood control than any property management company could ever be.

Use your cell phone camera and take pictures of every single dog you see off leash - then go to the next HOA meeting - I think you will find your problem solved.
Gone Only From My Eyes - Forever in My Heart

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Valued Member

My dogs and I have been "attacked" by a number of off leash dogs. The "attack" usually would consist of me telling my dogs to behave while an unleashed dog comes running up. They sniff a bit and then the other dog fires off. I then release my behave on my dogs and let them defend themselves while I may kick the dog also. It may sound violent and long lasting but it has only taken seconds and no blood drawn before the other dog high tails it out of there. The last straw came when I was walking a few years ago and these two chihuahua's actually flat out attacked my boy and girl. My two behaved well until I could not tolerate them getting nipped and bitten anymore and released them. The girl bit one chi in the midsection and it ran off and when the other saw the 3 of us focusing on it then it took off. The chi owner was apologizing from a distance, I said control your dogs and we walked off.

Nowadays when we see a dog running at us I tell my two "let's go" and we start running at the loose dog. The loose dog, so far, has always turned around and run away. I cannot imagine any dog stupid enough to take on 3 animals much, much bigger than it but, if we ever run into one, I suspect there will be blood.

I think moondog gave the best advice and you would be good to use it but, I would also suggest a cattle prod. They are not that expensive and you can get them with some long handles. That will give you something between you and the offending dog and, if that dog happens to be brave enough to bite at it, then it will get quite the shock in its mouth.
- Henry David Thoreau -

Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM

I would bring a small video camera with me and as soon as the little buggers pop out of nowhere I'd video them to show that they are off leash and you have control of yours. This will prove that your Rottie is NOT the aggressor and is being provoked to the point that she only reacts when she needs to protect you and herself.

I find it amazing that these little ankle biters will actually go after such a big dog. Personally, I trust a big dog more than I do those little ones.

Send a certified letter to your apt management as well as the owners of the dogs (if you know who they are). The more documentation you have the better in case things go really badly and she hurts one of their dogs. It will show that you've done all you can do to prevent it from happening and that you are the responsible dog owner.
Dawn

Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lanthier View Post
My dogs and I have been "attacked" by a number of off leash dogs. The "attack" usually would consist of me telling my dogs to behave while an unleashed dog comes running up. They sniff a bit and then the other dog fires off. I then release my behave on my dogs and let them defend themselves while I may kick the dog also. It may sound violent and long lasting but it has only taken seconds and no blood drawn before the other dog high tails it out of there. The last straw came when I was walking a few years ago and these two chihuahua's actually flat out attacked my boy and girl. My two behaved well until I could not tolerate them getting nipped and bitten anymore and released them. The girl bit one chi in the midsection and it ran off and when the other saw the 3 of us focusing on it then it took off. The chi owner was apologizing from a distance, I said control your dogs and we walked off.

Nowadays when we see a dog running at us I tell my two "let's go" and we start running at the loose dog. The loose dog, so far, has always turned around and run away. I cannot imagine any dog stupid enough to take on 3 animals much, much bigger than it but, if we ever run into one, I suspect there will be blood.

I think moondog gave the best advice and you would be good to use it but, I would also suggest a cattle prod. They are not that expensive and you can get them with some long handles. That will give you something between you and the offending dog and, if that dog happens to be brave enough to bite at it, then it will get quite the shock in its mouth.
You have me cracking up in the office. I needed that! I couldn't imagine seeing a man with two rotties chasing a toy dog. The thought is too much.
Beauty and I need to think of something fast because it seems all small dogs want to attack her, and she just sits there without growling and an expression like "I wish you would"

OP I also live in a condo and my association sounds a lot like yours, as far as the unleashed dogs and unresolved isses the HOA isn't doing anything about it. If I were you I would write the letter as mentioned but right after getting the confirmation of delivery call animal control each and everytime! I used to sit in my window and wait to see unleashed dogs and call. It got so bad animal control got into it with the HOA now if any dong in my complex is unleashed the HOA issues $25 dollar tickets, per complaint. If you don't know who the dog belongs to dognap it and sit outside waiting for the owner to come along looking.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Wow. This has happened to me so many times. I bring my boy, Auzzie on walks all overy my very populated neighborhood. The other night this little shitzu come running up and barking at my dog. Auzzie just stared at him like he was crazy but I had a tight hold on the leash because I knew that one bite could finish this appetizer off. I was yelling for the owner to come and get their dog nobody was in sight. I went to kick at (not actually kick) the dog to get him to move away and he lunged at my leg and nipped. My dog did not like that at all and his shackles went up and he began to growl. I put him in the sit position and stood in front of him to let him know I was controlling the situation. I then yelled and jumped toward the dog and it finally went running.

It infuriates me that my boy has to be put in the situation. I also have a neighbor who'se dog is always getting out loose and running through my yard. I am lucky to have such a controlled well-behaved boy. He loves other dogs but it only takes one bad moment for a disaster to strike. The worst part is that I am being responsible and will be the one to be blamed because of his breed. The mean old Rottweiler.

I don't intend to offend owners of small dogs but I think the problem is they see their dog more as a baby than a dog and treat it as such. They think it's cute when their dog barks and charges big dogs because they know that their little thing cannot do any major harm so they hold no liability. They let their dogs get away with bad behavior toward other dogs and humans. I'm not saying this about all small dog owners but many that I have seen.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

I've always walked my kelpie off lead through the housing estate where I live, he is always with in 6 foot of me and NEVER out alone.
If some one else is walking with or without dogs we stand on the side and he sits and is totally focused on me.
He has never been interested in confrontation with other dogs, and if he was inclined to do so he would be walked on the lead at all times.
However there have been occasions when leashed dogs have lunged towards him and these are always little yappy dogs,( terrier types )
What you describe sounds awful and I hope you are able to get it sorted.
I agree with what others have said, video it on your phone and report it, but also it will prove that your well behaved Rottie was not to blame,

Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Wow, I can so understand. I live in a private home , fenced yard and I have 2 Male adult rotties. Well trained and wonderful temperments. There r 2 Boxers next door to me; each one has had there turn Jumping the fence into my yard to go after my 2. each time,. they( the boxers have paid a price, although nothing leagally ever came of this. Where i live, private fenced in property and leash laws are taken seriously. No legal matters but the Boxers were just a bit hurt and warned. On the pther side of my house the couple has a really beautiful staffy, no problem with her although the 180lb male mastiff is another issue. This dog is redlined and will walk over their 3 1/2 ft fence and right over mine to attack my dog, or sometimes us while we r out there, so being winter, we do a lot of mental and physical exercise. It will be a problem this summer, and will be stopped legally if it happens again. Then there is the old women who walks her shizu everyday after she see's me let out my dogs, despite the reaction of the tease fom the smaller dog, she thinks they want to make friend when clearly they ( my 2) don't seem happy to see them. Unfortunately, due to all this, my 2 have become a litty " Unsure and tense" when he is approached by this unaware folks. I keep my guys close to me, and I have No Problem reciting the law to them if need be. I am hoping that when my son is back from the US Army, he can take the house( Now that it is all remodeled it would be nice) and I am going to move to an area that offers me more space between neighbors, larger yard and a stockade fense. Where i live, they don't allow the stockade fensing. Have you able to move to a place that would provide better enviornments for both of u? I have dicovered that moving may be the only opion for us to aviod all this.