Rottweiler Discussion Forums

Go Back   Rottweiler Discussion Forums > Rottweiler > Behavior
Did you forget your password? Reset it here

Behavior Behavior problems, suggestions, support. Please use this forum for all behavior related posts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM

a few questions

hello everyone, my rott is 1 year 4 months old but he is getting different behavior since a few weeks ago hes getting a little agressive ( like growling without moving while starring)toward other dogs and anxious.. he makes exercises everyday in the yard. some one told me that he needs to get a bitch.

is that true?
when is the moment to let him get a bitch?
any sugestions

Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Re: a few questions

No, it is NOT true.... his behaviour is not because he needs a bitch. It is because he is growing up, a teenager, and he is not quite sure of himself as an adult yet.

Read about NILIF on here, put it in the search engine. Increase his training and exercise, and try to distract him when he shows agression to other dogs. In fact, try to distract him BEFORE he shows agression.

Male dogs do not "need" to be bred, he wont miss what he has never had.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Well if you are not going to wait til he is 2 yrs old and have his hips, elbows, heart and thyroid and eyes checked and certified from the Orthopedic Foundation for animals then I would personally say the time to get him a bitch is NEVER! Rotties do not mature til at least 2 and a good breeder will have all those certifications done and not only that they will title their dogs both working and conformation titles. Honestly I think you should neuter him and do both of you a favor since you seem to be unfamiliar with dealing with an intact teenage rottie male. So I am pretty sure the majority of persons n this forum will also agree as those of us who have bred or are breeding do not do so unless we have pups spoken for personally I have strict contracts and any pup I sell if they are not happy or need to get rid of it it comes right back to me. Are you ready for all this responsibility? Somehow I do not think so. Also have you looked at all the dogs in your boys pedigree at least 3-4 generations back and know what faults and what good points they carried and threw? The same also needs to be done with the prospective bitch. I know this is a bit long and I didnt even go into whelping and raising a litter. I hope this gives you some insight into the proper method of breeding these fine dogs and hopefully you will not 'get him a bitch' . JMHO

Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Valued Member

If mating him makes any difference to what you are describing, it's more likely to make him worse due to frustration that there's not more where that came from, and he very likely to become more intolerant of other males due to jealousy.
No, he does not need a bitch, it sounds like he needs training.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajemons View Post
If mating him makes any difference to what you are describing, it's more likely to make him worse due to frustration that there's not more where that came from, and he very likely to become more intolerant of other males due to jealousy.
No, he does not need a bitch, it sounds like he needs training.
Great point! I would like to hear how people come up with these ideas! Then we wonder why there are so many unwanted puppies! I really never heard of people saying to mate their intact dogs just to make them behave better, but the world never ends surprising me!

In any case, yes, mating him and keeping him intact may add hormonal aggression on top of what your are seeing which is part of him abiding to the Rottweiler standard "An aggressive or belligerent attitude towards other dogs should not be faulted". Yet, this does not mean this is acceptable behavior; you should enroll him in classes so he learns to mind you more despite the distractions of other dogs around. So yes, as ajemons said, no mating, and most importantly, more training!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the advices he completed the basic obedience training a couple months ago i guess ill put him on a more advance one.. thanks

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
One of the Old Folks

Post Re: a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcs View Post
Thanks everyone for the advices he completed the basic obedience training a couple months ago i guess ill put him on a more advance one.. thanks
More obedience classes, and have him neutered. It can help with dog aggression. There is no need to ever allow your dog to breed.

Gina

(Baxter)Weka's Knight'N' Shinin Armor CGN TT HIC
(Jemma) Eirian's First Class Jem HIC CGN

At the Bridge:
Bruno
Teddy
China
Duncan (Rescue) RIP April22-14