Comment

LinkBack Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
A Guide to Mega-Esophagus
Jaime Powell
bliss7373
08-04-2011
A Guide To Mega-Esophagus
By Jaime Powell, copyright 2011
(permission to forward or repost with credit given)

This article is intended as a primer on the canine disorder mega-esophagus. I am not a veterinarian, nor do I advertise myself as an...

By Pyrex on 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Re: A Guide to Mega-Esophagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss7373 View Post
Pyrex, where are you located? My understanding was that Cisapride/Propulsid was taken off the market in the United States for humans due to the dire side effects it was causing. Unlike Reglan, which primarily results in only upper GI motility, Propulsid is an "everywhere" motility drug. Did you see any side effects? Did you have to go to a compounding pharmacy to get it?

I took Pieka off Reglan (a motility drug similar to Propulsid) due to my concerns with potential long-term side effects, which can include neurological issues. We haven't seen anything in her, but it scared me.

Thanks for adding some info to this thread!
I am in Los Angeles & the VCA Vet's office actually provided the Cisapride. They told me it is normally used in rabbits in smaller doses, but gave me a larger dose for Max.

I did not notice any side effects at all, and it seemed to really help him keep from regurgitating as much. These days he is not on the cisapride anymore as it is very manageable with simply raised food bowls and three 1-cup meals a day.

I don't know much else about the medication unfortunately but the vet did not tell me of any side effects to be worried about.

By bliss7373 on 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM
Re: A Guide to Mega-Esophagus

Thank you, Pyrex! This information could be very helpful!
Comment